How to store supplies if TSHTF?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChickenTracy, May 7, 2006.

1. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Didn't want to threadjack the stocking up post. For those stocking up on supplies in the event TSHTF how can this stuff be stored like flour, cornmeal, batteries, etc? Things that would get buggy, hard, weaken. In the event of a power outage our freezers would be useless. Any other ways to store them like dark areas, garage, celler, bury underground, etc? I know potatoes can be burried underground with hay for several months & dug up later to prevent them rotting quickly. I know years ago farmers didn't have electricity, refridgeration, etc but I'm unfamiliar with all the storage methods they used. Mostly all I've ever stocked has been canned good & paper products.

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

We will be making good use of our root cellar when I get home and keep pumpkins and squash, onions in the wash room. I want to make a solar dryer and I plan on getting lots of plastic buckets that seal from the local organic bakery to store wheat in the buckets wil be placed in metal 55 gallon drums to keep out mice. I want to get a small silo so I can buy several thoasand pounds of corn and wheat to have enough for a several year supply for my poultry and occasional snack for my future dexter's. I plan on storing some food away from home as well in the woods some where and I will have supplies there as well just incase, The main thing for me is insuring that I have a fertile productive garden fresh food is best! and I plan on making lots of hoop houses to extend the gardening season, also I want to build a house with an attached greenhouse on the south side so as to grow all winter and maybe have a few papaya and lemons.All that is to nothing if you dont have enough water and so I plan on making catchments to hold sevaral thoasand gallons of run off from the roof and a pond and getting a pump for my well. (I still remember the drought in 88 and I tink there will be much worse ahead so I will be ready) I would like to get off grid and have a sundanzer freezer powered by a solar panel I was thinking of propane till I read the thread at alternative energy on freezers. Incidentally I want to have atleast a 2 year supply of food stored away.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I do wonders with my dehydrator, and some ziplock bags and tupperware.

4. deerlarkin

deerlarkin Member

Please forgive my ignorance. I have been on a news and tv fast for quite some time as I have been experiencing terribly sleepless nights. Now, I don't consider myself a stupid person, however, I am at a loss at this moment.
    My question is going to cause some to believe I am a lost soul, whom at a time like of true disaster, is probably not prepared.
    I do stockpile and store foods and essential equiptment (of which does not require electricity) . I try very hard not to rely on electricity. I conserve water as well as store many, many gallons. I have been studying for the past fifteen years how to live and maintain a life without all of the modern day conveniences. I have taught myself how to garden, dehydrate, can, preserve, sew, grow-harvest-mill my own grains, grow and prepare herbal remedies and tinctures. I study the human body and its workings (if the need arises, I could perform a few lifesaving surgical proceedures) I have studied and continue to study animal husbandry. The list of life essential knowledge I have taken in has been overwhelming at times, yet, I am forever grateful to have the ability to comprehend. I feel if some form of natural or terroristic disaster occurred, I might be capable of survival. If it should end up being some form of epidemic, may the spirits show mercy on all of us!
    However, I find myself quite saddened by the fact that I have no idea what TSHTF means!
    Please halt the laughter in the back seats. I am being quite humble and feel at a loss at the moment. It is embarrassing for me to admit that my ignorance has taken me by such suprise. I am new to the homesteaders community and have learned quite a bit over the past few days since my registration. I would like to continue learning. So, if someone could please tell me, I will be quite grateful.

Blessings to all!

5. ChickenTracy

Beleive me I didn't know until last week so you're not alone! It's when "the "S" hits the fan" so to speak.;)

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL that was funny deerlarkin I did not know either till I found HT. You sound as though you will be ready for what ever the future holds

7. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

it also took me a little while but it sure seemed to fit something my dad would say when we mesed up on something! he'd just say it a little differently The "s" is fixing to hit the fan if ya'll don't ..... I am not as prepared as most of you are. I have been visiting this site for about 2 maybe 3 yrs when we decided to move to the moutains to live off the land. It was my husbands dream to live out in the middle of nowhere and be able to grow,hunt for our own food. Now i have learned that it may really be a good idea as with the ways society is headin. Welcome Good luck and take care rannie

8. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

It's a slang type of expression. Each letter refers to a word.

TSHTF = "The S___ Hits The Fan". Now under the letter "S" we need a slang word commonly used to describe human excrement. It sounds a bit like the word Ship, but the last letter is wrong.

The whole thing is really silly because when TSHTF the electricity will probably be off and the fan won't be running.

TSHTF is often used to indicate some kind of major collapse of our government systems including a major financial collapse. To borrow a phrase from the Boy Scouts, "BE PREPARED".

9. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

you are not alone deerlarkin, I figured it out eventually because from the context i knew what they must be talking about, but what is HT, RLOF, I hope I spelled it corectly.
    larky, you would be a good one to have next door.
    yep, we need to learn the old techniques. growing up we never had electricity beyond a lightbulb. we did fine. I remember with fond heart, because I had a very happy childhood, although we were so poor you can not imagine. we fermented in crocks, dried, salted, canned, root vegetables my mom packed in sand, there was a potatoe cellar that also held turnips and rutabagas. We lived in a cold climate. I have to pick my mother in law's brain again, she lived most of her life in KY and had no electricity for a big part. I am thinking of leaving root vegetables out in the garden and covering the rows with a heavy mulch. maybe that will work in this climate.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Ht is homesteading today I have not figured out RLOF though I have always wondered

11. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

12. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

"ROFL"

rolling on the floor laughing

13. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

14. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

As been stated above, we buy whole grains and store in 5 gallon containers.
    We first freeze it, put some bay leaves in with it, put a piece of dry ice in and seal it up. Then all you need is a good grinder. (be careful with the dry ice)

Another way to store eggs without electricity is to coat them with lard/fat to seal up the pores. They can last many months like this.

I second the dehydrating. Many things are so easy to do and last many months in air tight conditions. Plus they are light and easy to transport.

We also store in places not likely to be searched out. Our coffee table is a homemade wooden box turned upside down, decorated and painted but with 5 gal. containers of grain under it.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks their are a few times I would have been doing that as I read this site if it was not for being in a public place.

16. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We are looking long and hard at how many things can be 'fermented' and how many things can be stored in wine.

No cooking, no freezing, the ability to handle large quantities of harvest with ease, ...

17. ChickenTracy

[edited]

I like to snivel!! It keeps my mind active! :rolleyes: Thanks for the ideas. I have a great big (microwave size) dehydrator. Guess I'd better get it out of the basement & put it to use. I've only used it for deer jerky. I usually can or freeze items from the garden & never bothered to use the dehydrator for other things. Have dehydrated apples a few times with it. Guess I haven't used it to it's full potential yet.

18. deerlarkin

deerlarkin Member

Oh my gosh!

When I checked in I never imagined I'd find sooooooooo many responses. There are too many to thank individually....oh heck....here we go...cuz everyone deserves a lil reckon with...from Canada....here it goes....

Thank you to:
    EVERYONE :) :dance: :)

Luv from ME

19. deerlarkin

deerlarkin Member

That is all the response you get! Obviously, you need or want one!!!!!!!!!

Again! I want to thank everyone "else" for your responses! Hubby and I both thank you for your quick response. WE were bewildered to some extent!!! Not now!

Me/Us

20. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Gypsymama where do you store your eggs once you have covered them in lard/fat? Cool dark place? what about in the warm weather?