How To Store Apples

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pistolsmom, Sep 13, 2005.

1. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

I'm looking for different ways of storing apples over the winter. How can I store them and how long can I expect them to keep? Any info appreciated!

2. My mom and grandma use to wrap them up individually in newspaper, place them in a cardboard box and then slide them under the beds. I'm not sure how long they would last but seems to me we would still be eating them around christmas time. I seem to remember seeing them in the old root cellar.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They keep best if they are cold. Like right at 32*. That is the temp the big growers hold their's at.

You could can apples. I've done it without adding sugar and they were great in any recipe requiring cooked apples. Make applesauce, apple butter, apple jelly, dry the apples.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I put mine in a aper bag so they coul breath, and put the bag in the fridge. I unpacked the apples once a month to remove any that showed signs of damage.

The apples lasted until they were all eaten, about 4 months. After 2 months, they tasted just like store apples, but they still made fine pie.

5. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

The large orchard near us has them most of the winter by keeping them in a very dry cool place. Do make sure you also follow the other posters advice by removing any that are beginning to go bad. They will all go bad quickley if you do not.

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I've not been able to store apples here. They either freeze outside in the garage or it 's too hot in the house. I make apple sauce, apple pie filling or I dry apple rings. If you've got an unheated room in your house it would probably work great.

7. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Just a note: Certain varieties have keeping qualities - it's in the genes. Other apples, particularly summer apples are known for NOT keeping. Usually apple nurseries list which ones are keepers and which not in their catalogs. Can save some frustration trying to keep an apple that simply isn't going to hold over time.

8. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We store our apples in large plastic bags (not sealed) set in the cubical plastic milk crates that were used to carry milk jugs. These crates stack nicely and aren't too big to handle, and allow ventilation.
    I make an effort to get the apples cooled as quickly as possible after picking which may mean hauling them inside the barn in the morning and back out again at night for awhile, or maybe putting some in the refrigerator. I think it is important to cool them as quickly as possible, down to 33 to 4o degrees.
    Then we store them in the bags, in crates, in the root cellar where it may vary from 30 degrees to 50 degrees, depending on the outside temp, as we open small windows at night to cool the root cellar off quickly in the fall.

This year I ate my last Fireside apples that I picked last October, on July 4th. Pretty good for unrefrigerated storage, I thought. Some other apples of other varieties were still usable, but not as nice.

Variety makes a big difference. The better catalogs will tell which apples are the better keepers. I have Fireside, Sweet 16, Black Oxford, Yellow Newtosh, Regent, Melrose, Northwestern Greening, which are my better keepers. Some of them improve quite a bit after a month or two of storage.

9. Trappmountain mentioned keeping in a cool dry place. When I get to thinking about it back when ma and granny use to put them under the bed, we didn't have modern heat all throughout the house like we do now days. All we had then was just a woodstove in livingroom and the back bedrooms always stayed cool. So using that technique in todays modern home probably wouldn't work so well.

I was looking through one of my books and it mentioned burying a barrel or old chest freezer underground to use as a root cellar.