How to slaughter bucks?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GrannyCarol, Dec 6, 2006.

1. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my friends wants to give me three bucks for meat. I was thinking of taking them to a butcher I know, but he charges $75 each to butcher them! Now... I can cut them up just fine, but I am a bit wussy on the slaughter side of it.

How would you all recommend to do this? I live in town, shooting is not an option as far as I can see. I wouldn't mind so much slaughtering them myself (with the help of hubby), but I want to be sure it is done humanely and quickly. How would you go about controlling them? How would you slaughter them? Will I have to deal with stinkiness?

I'm not sure I want to go ahead with this, but I figure that some of you have to have done this and might have some good ideas that I could go ahead with! :)

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I've heard that you have to be very clean when butchering bucks... When skinning, be careful not to let the hair or your stinky hands touch the meat, and you'll want to get it off fairly quickly.

As for the actuall killing of the animal, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to shoot them, if you have the right kind of gun. If you really can't shoot where you live, shoot them at whoever's house you're getting them from, and haul them home dead. I'm not sure if that would work, I guess it depends on how far away they live. But shooting is the only humane way I can think of to put a goat down, to tell you the truth.

3. GrannyCarol

She lives 300 miles away... could be a problem! :)

If you are going to shoot them, how do you restrain them so you get a clean shot? I really don't think its legal to be shooting guns here in town, even though it is a small and rural town.

thanks!

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Drive them out of town and shoot them. It's the only humane way. Make sure you know the positioning, many people make the mistake of attempting to shoot a sheep or a goat in the forehead, and are surprised when the bullet simply ricochets off the boney plate between the horns.

I suppose your vet could do it. They'd be full of medication though.

Don't slit their throats - I have a feeling you're hoping someone will tell you that's okay. If you can't shoot them, don't take them. I'm saying this as nicely as I can, but I expect someone from this forum will be offended now.

As far as processing them, do it just as you would a deer. If you've never done a deer, I'm sure you can find the procedure for dressing out a deer online.

5. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Emily has a very nice guide for slaughtering goats here on the boards ( Ozark Jewels )
    I have to agree with the don't try to slit teh throat...a gun is the best way...they needn't be restrained to shoot them..put a bit of grain or alfalfa pellets on the ground and they are pretty much oblivious to what you are doing above them.

6. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Becareful about shooting...we had a local in our town get in SOME BIG trouble over that...

I cant imagine shooting any goat! I just couldnt kill ANY goat!

Good Luck

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

yes, I remember Ozark's article on butchering. It's a good one! In fact, here it is : Ozark's butchering article

If you need someplace to go to 'do the bucks in', you could probably drive out to state land, and do it there in the woods or something. Just remember hunting season so wear ORANGE!

Was it because he was in town? I think there's a certain distance you have to be from any household in order to shoot a firearm.

8. GrannyCarol

It's not an easy thought for me to kill a goat either. I'm going to have to really consider it carefully. However, I realize that every animal that I eat has to have been killed and few of them raised carefully and comfortably or killed as humanely as is my desire. I'd rather not support big business agriculture if possible, so I find myself considering whether or not I can kill my own dinner!

It is a sobering thought. Goats are pretty cute, so are sheep and ducks. We've butchered our own ducks, it wasn't easy for me emotionally, but it was right.

9. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Granny.
    Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but why don't you ask an experienced hunter in your town to shoot and butcher your animals. A fellow like me would only charge you $30.00 to kill, cut and chill your meat. $75.00 is outrageous!!!! Think about a young hunter who could use a little Christmas money for the family....Tennessee John

10. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Well said, Granny Carol.

Jennifer

11. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

If you press the muzzle gently against their heads there is very little noise, just a thump sound.

12. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Hi GranyCarol,I sent you a private message.I think it may help.Regards,John.

13. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

granny why dont ya just call ur town hall and ask if its ok or not. no need to try and keep it a secret theres only two things they can say either its ok or its not. then you will know what ya really need to do.

14. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I put a heap of feed down and wait til the goat is happily eating the grain and oblivious to everything else. Then shoot it where it stands. There is nothing as happy as a goat eating it's favorite grain. They never know fear. The first time is tough. Once the head is off the goat, it is just a piece of meat. Good luck to you.