How to skin a fox for tanning?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Meg Z, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

On the way to the dump a bit ago we found a fresh roadkill fox...a vixen with only one torn place on her foreleg. Otherwise, she's perfect (except, of course, for being quite dead). It'll only run me about $30 to get her tanned, but I need to skin her out right. I've done rabbits, deer, and such, but nothing where I wanted to keep the tail and face mask.

I could use some directions on where to make cuts. It's cool here, but she won't keep forever.

Maybe she's the one who likes to feed her winter kits with my ducks. She was only about a half mile from here...

Meg

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you want to keep the paws?

Do you want the finished hide open (split up the belly) or closed?

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

cut hind leg to hind leg. Do not pull by belly. pull hide off fox & flesh it. Put on stretcher board (adjustable stretchers work very well) fur side in for 24 hours. Remove from stretcher board, turn right side out and dry fur side out.

At least that is how it looks like Paul is doing it with the coyotes he has trapped

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't think the paws are needed. I'd prefer the skin open rather than cased like a rabbit...at least when it's finished. I can do the body, but I don't know how to get the tail out or to do the face.

I looked on line and found some directions, but when they get to the face, they just say thinks like, "Be careful here, or you'll get starry eyes"! What does that mean?

I may be able to do the tail okay from the directions I found so far, but that face is killing me. Where do I cut the lips? the ears? the eyes? Will it peel off the face cleanly, or is it super attached and needing to be cut off?

Once it's off, I can flesh it okay, and get it salted down for the tanner.

Thanks
    Meg

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would skin it cased and split it afterwards.

The tail is pretty easy. Split it on the underside for about 6". Pull and cut the hide loose until you can reach between the bone and the hide. Then pinch your fingers together hard or use 2 sticks (one on each side of the bone) and pull the bone out of the hide (not the hide off the bone). When done split the tail being careful to cut in a straight line.

The face is pretty easy too.

Split from heel to heel going under the tail. Cut loose until you get it worked loose from the hips. Tie the fox up by the hind legs about chest high so you can use your body weight. Pull down until past the shoulders. Work your thumbs between the hide and the neck and pull the front leg hide out to the elbow.

After you get past the front legs keep pulling until you see the ear cartilege. Cut it loose from the skull with the blade held close to the skull. Then pull to the eyes can carefully cut the lids loose again cutting close to the skull. Repeat at the nose and lips. Most of the cutting on the head will be just in those places mentioned.

If this isn't clear some trapping websites probably have a better description.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

fishhead, thanks.

I appreciate your coming back to answer. Keep your fingers crossed!

Meg

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Congrats on your find I hope it turns out well!