How to ship fleece?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ann Mary, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I am buying #20 of fresh wool from a friend and it needs to be shipped to the woolmill. What is the best way to ship it? :shrug: I was thinking of trying to find one of those bags you put the article in and then hook up a vaccuum and suck out all the air. Would that work and where do you 'spoze I could find one on those bags? Thanks! :)

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A washed fleece will weight less, and simply pushing it into as small a box as you can will do. I would bag it as well and maybe using a vac as best you can will help, but I'm not sure you need a special bag.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

You could put the fleece(s) in a big bag and spread it out well then lay the bag of the floor and use knees and both hands to roll the bag as tightly as possible. Depending on how strong you are you could wind up with a rather dense package. Think of how you have to pack your sleeping bag away when you go hiking! :)

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

The fleece will go directly to the wool mill and will won't be coming here for me to wash it first. So, maybe it can just be stuffed into a thick garbage bag and then the air worked out of it??? I have no clue how big a pile #20 of fresh fleece is.

5. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

You can use a plastic trash bag, put the fleece inside, put an old panty hose over the vaccuum hose and turn it on as you close the bag up....really kind of cool-just don't forget the panty hose :)
    Then it might fit in a paper grocery sack and mail it that way (or in a box).