How to save seeds..............

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wiggles12, Jun 26, 2006.

1. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

I have some wonderful tomatoes that I would like to save some seeds from, but not sure the proper way. Can someone enlighten me please. Also, would like to know the best way to save bean seeds. Thank you!

2. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I dry my seeds and then seal them airtight with a food saver machine. They can be stored at room temp for quite a while like that. At least 2 years I know. I dry them in a paper towel tied in front of a window by tieing up the corners, closing it with a bread tie and hanging it there.

Dry beans can be stored in a mason jar with a few pieces of brown paper bag in there for moisture. If you were going for long term storage, I would try to seal them air tight with the machine.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'd like to know too. About the tomatoes...do you just pick a nice fresh tomato and harvest the seeds, or should you let them stay on the vine until they shrivel...?

4. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

This web site has a lot of useful information for seed saving

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html

I just checked out this book

Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners (Paperback)
    by Suzanne Ashworth, Kent Whealy

from our library and at a quick glance through it would be a wonderful addition to a gardeners personnal library.

5. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Pick your earliest and best tomatoes. Mash them up and add about another 1 part water. let them set out till it starts fermenting. The seeds will sink to the bottom. wash them off good and air dry them good. Store them in a good air tight container, and use them. Seed longevity is around 3 years.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Vicker has it exactly right. You want them to ferment to break down the protective slimy coating.

And for anyone planning on saving seeds, Seed to Seed is an *excellent* book.

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

How many varieties of tomatoes did you grow? and what varieties?

How close together were they?

Just wondering if they cross pollinated and then you wouldn't have true seed.

8. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

For the beans, just leave them on the vine until dry, shell them out, let them dry a bit more, store in airtight jar. Beans can cross pollinate so it is best to save seed from plants farthest from other beans.