How to remove bones?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ben10, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:43 PM.

1. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

I have a litter that id like to cull. This would be my first batch of rabbits to kill, I killed and skinned one however the wife didnt care for that it was a "rabbit" in the freezer. She wants me to remove the bones and cut it up some more into chunks. How do you go about doing any of this?

2. Skandi

Skandi Well-Known Member

If I didn't want it to look like a rabbit I would portion it into front legs, ribs, saddle and hindlegs. Use the ribs for soup and freeze that, possibly the front legs too depending on the size of your bunnies, then freeze the saddles and rear legs, bonning the legs would be way more effort than it's worth, but you can bone the saddle, just run a knife down next to the backbone.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We made bunch of Rabbits into Sausage. We just deboned it like we do a Deer.

big rockpile

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

If we are not doing sausage--- 2 or 3 rabbits in a crock pot---seasoned to taste--over night----all the bones will fall right out the meat the next morning. Then you can freeze/can it the way you want.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Works for Squirrels too.

big rockpile

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

This is the video I used when learning how to debone. Fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Ben10 and aart like this.