How to register a domain name?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Feb 9, 2005.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Is there an official "agency" that registers internet domain names? There seem to be a lot of commercial internet sites that claim to register a domain name for you for a fee, but it's not altogether clear who they are or whether they have any actual authority to register anything to you. Also, I'm wondering whether, in addition to checking to see whether the domain name is already taken, a person has to also determine whether the name is identical (or similar to) a trade name in which somebody else has an intellectual property interest. How would you go about determining that?

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Go to www.networksolutions.com and put in the name/names you want to see if available. I use them, they are the main one, or used to be a long time ago. You can get some good deals if you want a hosting company to register it for you too, all in one package. Check all those out first, before you register it. Where are you going to park it? As far as I know, if the name is available, it's ok to buy.

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I prefer GoDaddy.com - they *do* have authority, the trade name interest is totally different and I have no idea how you'd do that. NS is overpriced and their customer service was wretched.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Networksolutions used to be the only game in town, but not any longer (thank goodness). Most people register their domain name through their web hosting company when they set up the webpage.
    There is no requirement to check that the domain name is not a registered trade name, BUT that doesn't mean the owner of the trade name won't try to shut you down. You can check for federally registered trademarks at:
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=5gl3gj.1.1
    Many trade names are only registered at the state level and you would have to check with each state individually if you wanted to make sure the name was truly unique.

5. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I've always used www.directnic.com and am quite pleased. Good pricing and when I have a problem I pick up the phone and talk to someone there.

Nik

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

THere are many companies, some even offering free registration. Note some of the free dont register a doman name put create a sub domain on an existing domain.
    As for trademarks and similar names, you can reasearch it yourself as much as you want, but all someone has to do is come along and says they had the name before you so, dont sweat it. Pick a name you want a go with it.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I agree that www.godaddy.com is the best deal in town, that's where I have all 10 of my domain names registered. It's never more than $10.00 a year and you don't have to worry about who "owns" your domain (as some places that register your domain for you do...). As far as a webhost. You can't beat www.totalchoicehosting.com far and away the best service out there. Check out their silver package. $55.00 a year and everything you could want in a host. They use cpanel as their control center. Nice and easy stuff and great support.

Edited to add:
    I should probably clarify that www.totalchoicehosting.com is the cheapest for the abilities it has. Unlimited email, unlimited mysql databases, unlimited subdomains, unlimited FTP accounts, free ssl, unlimited usage of built in scripts, 20 GB bandwidth/month, 850MB HD space...

I am very happy with them.

8. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I use www.catalog.com which runs about $50 a year for hosting AND the domain name plus an additional $25/yr for any additional domain names. I currently have 2 and plan to add a third which will bring my total for 3 domains with hosting for about $100/yr.

9. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

I agree with using GoDaddy.

10. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

Hey, my last name is still up for grabs! :)