Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a child that is highly allergic to corn to the point that when he was a child if my wife ate anything with corn or corn derivitives he would react. We are trying to raise pigs corn free but I am not sure what to supplement their feed with. We do rotational grazing and give them leftover milk stuff from the local cheese factory. We have just found out that we cannot do it this way anymore because a lot of the cows are not 100% grass fed.
Any suggestions on how we can supplement the pigs without using something that has been processed with or has any sort of corn in it?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
David, there is a heap of stuff out there to feed your pigs without corn coming into the equation - pigs survived for centuries without corn or maize being a part of their diet. Historically, pigs were the cleaner-uppers in paddocks where crops had been grown (country) and the disposal unit for household scraps (both country and closer to town). I think they may have had to compete with the chooks which were also seen as a way to make a bit of money.

You're already doing rotational grazing but what about acorns, your vegetable garden, and scraps. I know the law can vary from state to state, but we pick up household scraps from something like 30 families. All of this food is cooked to within an inch of it's life and fed along with cow milk. But do you want to go to that effort? - most people don't! Unfortunately, most commercial feeds have corn/maize in them but you could look at kibbled barley and green peas to supplement their diet - both are high in protein. Do you have access to PKE - Palm Kernel Expellier - a lot of controversy surrounding this stuff but an excellent cattle and pig fodder.

Sit down and think about it - I'm a bit too tired at the moment but I do know there is 1,001 ways to feed a pig without corn and I'm sure that with a little imagination, you will find a way too.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a child that is highly allergic to corn to the point that when he was a child if my wife ate anything with corn or corn derivitives he would react. We are trying to raise pigs corn free but I am not sure what to supplement their feed with. We do rotational grazing and give them leftover milk stuff from the local cheese factory. We have just found out that we cannot do it this way anymore because a lot of the cows are not 100% grass fed.
Any suggestions on how we can supplement the pigs without using something that has been processed with or has any sort of corn in it?
Ground Wheat. Lots of grain without Corn.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I use corn for training only, and I could do it just as easily with milk soaked bread or a box of cheerios.
Ronney is correct, pigs are not dependent on corn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are some interesting articles online about raising Pigs in Japan - they have been using more Rice in their feeds rather than imported corn......you might want to look into that too!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Wheat, barley, oats will all work and are on the less expensive side. I fed my pigs a lot of windfall apples and a scoop of calf manna to make sure they got their vitamins, but I don't know if there is corn in calf manna.

You can give a little bit of soy bean or filed peas to add some protein.

If you have a day-old bakery outlet, you might be able to buy past dated bread and feed that.

I've always fed grain without molasses because I wanted to see what the grain looked like, but if you can find sweet feed without corn, the molasses has a lot of calories and some minerals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts