How to pull out ground rods?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mountaineer, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I'd like to move my portable electric fencing further than my cable will reach... any tricks to getting the rod out? It must be at least 5' deep! It needs to come out anyway, it's in an area that will damage tractor attachments or tractor drivers.
    It has 3" poking out of the ground.

Thanks for any tricks!

2. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Dig around it. Get a chain and wrap it around the rod, three or four times and try to wrap it over itself. Wrap the chain around your 3-pt. and lift. You have to get the chain just right so it cinches. Otherwise, bend the end of the rod over so the chain doesn't slip off or use a big clamp as a stop. Keep slipping the chain down as you pull up to the limit of the 3-pt.

3. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

If you have a tractor, just back up over it to where your 3ph is over the ground rod. Use a drawbar between the arms of the 3ph, lower it all the way and attach a chain to the rod and drawbar then just lift the 3ph. You will have to do that 2-3 times. It should come right up.

4. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

We have jacked them out of the ground using clamps and a bottle jack or other type of jack. How about just driving it into the ground another foot or would that still be too close to the surface?

5. Mountaineer

Thanks!! My tractor is toast- I'll try to get it started, lifting with the hitch seems easy enough. Banging it in is probably what I'll do if I can't get it out. They are $10 for a rod, and I have nothing around here that'll work! I don't think a ski pole would do, I have iron rods but I'm told they don't work well once rusty- which would be pretty quick here!

6. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Well dig around it and use a hand grinder and Cut the sucker off. That is what I have done on several friemds places. Better that way then wrecking something. Cut it off deep enough as to not work up and everything is fine, no Problem.

7. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Here are some ideas, perhaps you could build you own.
    http://platipus-anchors.com/anchori...rth_anchoring_rod_removing_equipment_page.htm

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............If it becomes too much work to extract the rod , I'd dig down a foot or so , attach a piece of #8 or #6 solid copper with the clamp , and cut it off immediately above the clamp with your grinder . Then , using electricial tape I'd tape off all around the clamp to prevent rust and moisture and just cover it backup with dirt . This way you've still got the use of the rod and it won't interfere with that "dead" :Bawling: tractor . fordy... :)

9. What us electrician do: Leave the ground clamp on. Place a pipe wrench under the clamp and tighten down against the rod. Twist the rod to break it lose from the ground. Once broken lose, twist the rod back and forth vigorously while pulling up against the ground clamp. You will work it back out of the ground.

10. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

rh beat me to it.
    I grab them with my best Vicegrips and the twist it back and forth and then start lifting.

11. Mountaineer

OK seeing that my P O C tractor ('41N) isn't going to go, vice groips/pipe wrench it is!! Thanks again.

12. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

$10 for a ground rod???

really?

13. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

I've pulled a few grounding rods. I slide the grounding clamp down about 5 or 6 inches from the ground and get it as tight as I can. I get a rock or something to use as a fulcrum, then I used a 4x4 post as lever. Put one end of the 4x4 under the clamp, and then stand on the other end to pry it up. You only have to get it up a few inches and it'll be loose enough to pull out the rest of the way.

14. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I ageee with meloc. $10 really? Maybe for a 4', double that for a "real" one. lol. I've never tried to pull an 8' ground rod, don't want too either. Metal T post present enough of a challenge for an old bumper jack.