How To Protect Metal/Steel From Rust

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by angus, Oct 24, 2005.

1. angus

angus Somewhere in Oklahoma

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some ideas on how to best protect steel/metal fencing and building from rust. We live in a rather humid environment ( Central Oklahoma ).

Thanks In Advance !

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Some sort of rust proof paint... ask Home Depot, Ace hardware etc. or a fencing company.

3. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

good quality paint on clean metal is your best route on metal fencing, but its a chore, the easiest method I know for wire is dipping in a vat of some form. couple coats wont hurt. For small items that need long lasting weather proofing, (gate hinges, heavy bolts, heavy gauge hardware for latches, etc) you can always temper them in a used motor oil/beeswax solution. They will need to be brought up to a cherry red temperature, I usually just tossem in the fire, fish them out with tongs and drop them glowing red into about 5 gallon of used motor oil and beeswax solution. (About a gallon of beeswax melted into 3 or 4 gallon of used motor oil.) do be careful, this needs to be done without splashing and never do too many pieces at once, you could eventually over heat yer oil and get it started afire! Once you are sure they are fairly well cooled in the oil, fish them out with yer tongs and let them drip dry somewhere they wont make too big a mess. This heat treating will last bettern any paint but doesnt work well with small pieces and sure dont want to warp any machined parts using this method. gate and barn door hinges love the stuff.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Something like auto body undercoating works good but you must have good quality stuff, not that cheap stuff sold in spray cans. Maybe can try the stuff used for waterproofing foundations or roofs.

Is cheap and a little goes a long way on things like fencing.

5. charlie929

charlie929 Member

Hey Angus,
    Not sure if you can get this in the civilian world but it is a product called Zinc Chromate, it is a yellow primer used in the military for preservation, there is also a product called 117 pre-wash treatment, it is acid based and is also used for preservation, i have used both of these myself and they work pretty good. check with the Airforce Base in OK City (TINKER) and get ahold of their aircraft maintenance and see if they can make some suggestions.
    tate care and God Bless

6. tramp

tramp Active Member

Please forgive the intrusion, but a word on zinc chromate.........although it IS a good primer, it's nasty stuff. You don't want to inhale it. The Canadian Air Force (for what it's worth) banned the stuff years ago.
    The oil/ beeswax sounds like a good idea, though.
    My 2 cents worth

Paul