how to promote goats and get volunteer hours at the same time?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I need volunteer hours for school, and I want to have a better chance of winning a county medal, and even a state award. Since I am working for a county medal in goats and ducks, and the fill-out form wants to know my 4-H citizenship, leadership, what I've done promote 4-H, and community service experiences (I don't have a very impressive record), I figured I could do a little more. The thing is, I don't really know what to do besides club leadership activities and other things quite simalar to that.

I was thinking doing a presentation for a classroom or girl and boy scouts, but I'm not really sure how to begin. Does anybody have any ideas?? :help:

2. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

organize a "Local Dairy Goat expo?"... " hold a dairy goat training seminar for local 4-H members"... "Get a sponsor for an award for the local Dairy Goat 4-H show"... " Find people willing to donate a goat for that 4-H deal that starts a new member off in 4-H goat project with a kid doeling"... lots of things to do... I'll give it some more thought....

Kaza

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

One thing I've done locally is taken lambs (kids when I was in school myself) to the local elementary school and let the kids pet and play with them...the kids love it! I think that's a great idea, and you can promote not only goats but your 4H club at the same time.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. My county has put this on every year, and in addition, the goat clubs have run a goat show (non sanctioned, but with a ADGA judge) for youth members and open adults who want to practice showmanship and see what a judge thinks of their spring kids. We usually run it sometime in early April. If you don't want to do it all yourself, combine with other stock and have a small and/or large animal info/play day.

5. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

Sometimes our library has story time and other activities for kids. One of our club members took her doeling for a visit to the library and talked to the children about baby goats. (Of course they came outside to the goat!) Our county also has a promote 4-H day at the park and our club does the petting zoo. My daughter has also taken her baby goats to school also. What about a nursing home? The residents love to pet animals and talk about when they had this or that. Call the home and set it up with the activity director on when you can take your goat. Pick a good day so the residents can sit outside and love on your goat. Do you have an area hospital? Same thing. What about day cares in your area. Might could arrange a "petting zoo" for that daycare.

Good luck. Hope this gave you some ideas.

Leslie

6. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

For a couple of years, a 4-H group volunteered to do a living nativity outside a toy drive pick-up. Depending on your community, it might have to be a hands-off (if they are terrified of ecoli or liability) but even then it's wonderful. Off-season petting farm for daycares or schools or scouts are good, too. Just make sure they aren't health nuts.
    Presentations for preschools, daycares, scouts, libraries, story times, etc. are a great idea! You don't have to have the animal. You could demonstrate how to milk a goat (a surgical glove with a big pinprick in 2 fingers and filled with water works well). You could get a hold of some mohair or cashmere or just anything and spin it (drop spindles work, there's a good thread called spinning for children?? in the cooking and crafts forum that has some excellent resources). It's amazing how many people don't know where mohair and cashmere come from! You could bring in bags that together weigh as much as a big goat could pack (I think 1/3 of their body weight) and have your audience try carrying the stuff, or at least lifting a few bags (younger kids are great for this one, they aren't as stong!) Oh, yes, pictures and posters are great aids.
    Let us know what yuo decide and how it turns out!
    ~Carrie C.

7. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

I use one of my wethers as a therapy goat. You have to contact the nursing home to find out more details, or there may already be a therapy organization available to work through. They often get a kick out of just seeing a goat on a leash :)

Andrea

8. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Oh!! we live next to a nursing home, but they owners have horses, so the residents aren't really out of touch with livestock...

With the help of the rest of my club, I might be able to organize some sort of expo... hmm

We used to bring lambs to a local elementery school, and once in 7th grade I brought in one of my girls for a science project. Havent done it in a while though, good plan!

There are 2 hospitals around here, that might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the great ideas!!!