Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Cream Legbar and some Rhodebar chickens, they are from the Greenfire line but I don't have a certificate. On the Greenfire site they sell for $59.00-69.00 per egg.
How much should I sell them for? I was thinking of $100-$60.00 per trio.

I also have White leghorns, they took me over 6 months to find around here. I live in rural area about an hour outside of Knoxville, TN.

Any help would be appreciated.:help:

L

·
0 Posts
I don't know your market. Search Craig's List, not only for your immediate area, but for a hundred mile radius around you. You'll learn if anyone else has them, and if so, how much they are selling for.

And yes, people WILL drive 100 miles to get what they want.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I think that Greenfire farm has already established that the sky is the limit, quite handily. You can always drop your price, but it's hard to raise it after you sell too cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It really depends on the quality of your birds, as well as the breed and rareness thereof. For example- Greenfire's eggs may be $60 dollars an egg because they are the only one with them.. Now let's factor in that you buy those eggs- hatch them, and you were somehow unlucky enough to get nothing but culls (Every line has culls. So just because they came from a certain breeder originally doesn't mean they are worth what you paid as even if you bought prime quality birds they can still produce culls) right off your birds are not worth the price you paid for them. Maybe half, if that.

Some times a cull rare breed can still sell for a lot- I saw a cull Cemani go for $65. But now let's factor in that like you, a dozen or more other people have paid the same price- raised as many as they could and started selling those birds flooding the market with them (around here locally on my Craigslist I saw the rhodebars I believe, as well as the legbars and some other Greenfire stock selling for about 6 dollars a chick or so all season long. I know some others who charge about the same.) The flooded market results in lower prices- otherwise you will have a hard time selling them because everyone has them.

But all of that being said.. 60 a trio is a good price for your regular run of the mill birds.. Average cost for a laying hen (pure or not) is 15-20 around here, a cock is 5-15 depending. If your birds are pretty good quality, I could see paying 100 a pair (though you may or may not be able to sell them locally.. It varies highly upon the group of people in your area. A lot here locally are interested in just having a backyard flock and don't want to pay 5 dollars for a rooster or more than 10 for a hen.. But your breeders concerned with quality and possibly exhibition will pay 50, 100, or more for a good bird.)

Same is true for your white Leghorns. If they are exhibition stock and of decent quality, I could see 40-50 dollars each easily, maybe a little more to the right person. If they are from a hatchery, I wouldn't ask more than $20 a pullet and $10 a cockerel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Those "rare breeds" are not as rare as they used to be. Think of the Marans. A few years everybody was will to pay big bucks for them, not so much now.
If you have SQ chickens, You may get a nice price for them, but run of the mill quality ??
You really have to know your market. What are others selling them for?
Is there a demand?
Lots of variables to consider.
Personally, I don't think you will get rich selling chickens. :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
My friend couldn't get $45 for nice quads of CL this summer and we are in a somewhat higher dollar area than some being in between two college towns.

She ended up giving me one of her pullets to add to my kitchen egg group

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Not sure what to charge but any one buying is potential competitor.
As said its all on local market.

Your Neck of the Woods you would be better off with Game Birds, a good stag from established lines brings 100 and up.
Cocks even more.
A breeding trio , well .... that is some real Money.
Hatching eggs 50 and up per dozen.

Bit more work then you common or uncommon barnyard fowl.
Good bit more money and your where the demand is highest.
Hatch, Kelso, Albany, Sweater, Whitehackle, Claret, Roundhead, and Butcher are a few breeds in demand.
Hatch,Kelso, and butcher probably on the higher side.

Got a Friend in Virginia sending me some his stock this spring.
I have no reason to disbelieve his claim of offers he has been presented.
My Great Uncle use to travel certain circles in those parts.
We have a demand here as well.
Just a smaller market.

He also Raised some of the best Walker **** Hound Stock, I won't bore you with what he got for a pup let alone a trained hound.

He also had Blue Ticks. Good stock as well.

I will warn you, if you do raise Game Fowl, Avoid any discussion of fighting. Any one pushes that don't sell them anything. You could be in trouble.

That said I have to think from the temperament of the Ameracunas I had as well as the color combos, they have Game Fowl lineage.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your replies, I will see what kind of chickens are for sale this spring and then go from there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts