How to Post a Recipe Test or Comment on a How-to Topic

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Carla Emery, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

In response to popular demand, here is how-to-post your recipe test results or comments on any how-to section of the book in the topic/thread for that chapter...

We have topic/threads for Oddments, Introduction to Plants, Grains, Vegetables, Herbs, Tree, Food Preservation (now on their second topic/thread), Introduction to Animals, Poultry, and Dairy. The Bee, Rabbit, Sheep, and Pig chapter is divided into four different threads, one for each animal.

When you post, list the edition number, page number, name of recipe or topic, your rating of the recipe or topic 1-5 (1-awful, 2-poor, 3-average, 4-good, 5-superb), and any additional comments.

I am so GRATEFUL for every person in this group who posts and for every single testing post!
    :D

2. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hi Carla and all,

my book arrived yesterday, thank you. First time I've seen it, WOW. Going to get started this weekend, just can't decide where??

Carol

3. Carla Emery

Hi Carol! It boggles my mind and saddens my heart how long it has taken some of these books to arrive. :( But I'm glad it finally got there. Am looking forward to seeing your posts! :D
    Carla

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Carla,
    my 10th edition oddments section just arrived today!! Happy to get it, but do I still test stuff, reading the oddments section I notice that things seem to be almost finished??

Carol

5. Carla Emery

Thank you for the very good question. :D Lots of folks have been confused on this point.
    Your commitment is to test 3 recipes a week--or comment in depth on 3 how-to sections. Most of your testing and commenting will be scattered around the 9th edition. (Be sure to post in the chapter topic/thread that matches the chapter where you got the recipe or how-to section!!!) But sometimes you'll be testing or commenting on material in the 10th edition manuscript I sent you.
    That 10th chapter is special because it's your "home room" around here which has a Fearless Leader who feels responsible to welcome, encourage, and help organize contributions to her particular chapter. Even if all the recipes have been tested in a chapter, there are plenty of how-to sections that you might feel moved to supplement or critique.
    Please don't feel that your testing and commenting must be confined to the 10th edition chapter group you're in. I want you to feel free to test whatever one of the 2,000+ recipes in the book fits with your budget, your lifestyle, your season, your menu, and your interests. That's the big thing. If you can do some Oddments recipes or how-to sections also, that's great!
    When everything in Oddments is commented on, I'll issue a call-in for your annotated chapter. You'll mail it to me, tell me what chapter you'd like to work on next, and on we'll go.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Carla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carla,
    my 10th edition oddments section just arrived today!! Happy to get it, but do I still test stuff, reading the oddments section I notice that things seem to be almost finished??

6. Tammy L

Tammy L Well-Known Member

ummm....I hate to ask...but how do I know what edition you sent me? Tammy L

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Tammy, I am not Carla but:
    if you recieved a bound book it is the 9th edition
    If you received a packet of loose papers, number them if they dont have numbers and take good care of it...that is the 10th edition

8. Carla Emery

Caroline00, thank you for stepping in there and helping tammy l! :D There just isn't enough of the real Carla to go around. (I've been out of town at a convention several days.)

Tammy, that answer given to you by Caroline00 is exactly right. Don't be embarrassed for asking. There are no "stupid" questions. I respect somebody who wants to get going with her testing enough to ask questions, even at the risk of exposing herself as a "newbie"! The old-timers here, like Caroline00, will quickly make you feel at home.
    Carla

9. HorseyGirl

HorseyGirl Member

OK, I am new so please bare with me if you have answered these questions 100 times. In signing up, I gave 3 catagories I would be interested in working on. Am I limited to only those three, or can I do other sections as well? I have the 9th edition of the book. Also, are you looking only for one tester for each recipe, or should multiple people be testing each recipe? It seems very busy and only slightly confusing ;) going through all these stickies. Is there a tried and true way to find out what still needs to be tested? Or just slog through it and make a list as I read? :) I am just trying to get used to navigating around it all, so any tips from veteran navigators will help. :) thanks

10. Carla Emery

Oh, horseygirl, what good questions you ask! :D

You can test recipes or comment on how-to information from any chapter of the book, or any edition of the book, or from the print-outs you are sent. Just please mention which edition you're working from and do your posting in the correct chapter sticky.

Multiple testings are welcome and inevitable. Sometimes it is really helpful to get more than one point of view on a recipe or how-to section.

The FLs are very happy when you test something that hasn't yet been tested. Most of them maintain a list of which recipes still remain to be tested, one list for those who have the 10th edition chapters, and one list from the 9th edition. When you have a 10th edition chapter, you can test off both lists. If you can't find the list for a particular chapter, PM the FL and ask for it. She'll be glad to fix you up.

You are also welcome to write all over those print-out 10th edition chapters, editing or commenting as the spirit moves you. Eventually, I'll be asking you to send them back, together with your comments.

Thanks for asking!
    Carla

11. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

backed up to this point.

12. Taz

Taz Member

Just discovered this thread. Gee....Carla is sending out pages again? I remember when I sent her $12 and over the months the pages of her book drifted in via the mail. What fun those days were and I still have that book. But I also have the 9th edition. The best part was reading of her family, her radio interviews and her neighbors. The newbies have missed all that. Ah well, time does move on.

Taz

13. Carla Emery

Hi, Taz. You have a first edition! Yes, I was sending out chapters of the 10th edition for folks to work from, but I'm not currently doing that. There's lots in the 9th edition that still needs testing though. So I'm grateful for whatever you want to post here. If you want to get my weekly e-newsletter, write me at doncarla@vtc.net . To see my speaking itinerary (I get to almost every state, every year), go to www.carlaemery.com .
    Gratefully,
    Carla