Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out peeps. I thought I'd be able to take the box scraper and at least do a superficial scraping of the 5 acres I want to seed. Nope, didn't do a single thing. Now what? Just seed over the weeds and pray for the best???

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
I can think of a way but I don't know how well it'd work for 5 acres.

Spray the existing plants glyphosate (roundup), wait a bit then put down the seed and cover it with straw to keep the seeds in place and the birds from eating them.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
What equipment is available? Some sort of drag rake might be kludged together if you can't hire a farmer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whoa! 5acres! Was gonna say mob graze chickens with some bird seed. They are like little roto-tillers. I use mine to turn over the compost pile.
Pigs do a fantastic job too.
Have to agree with others, hire someone and disc it, follow by seeding.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't know how well it would work on five acres, but I just broadcast seed before a heavy rain. The rain will plant the seed. Then mow the weeds, eventually the grass will win.

Is this for pasture, lawn, or something else?

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,363 Posts
If you have soil that has the fertility to support grass and enough steady rain to get grass established, broadcast 12 to 20 pounds to the acre.
You will need to clip the weeds prior to them setting seed and do it over and over until the weed seed reserves already in the soil are exhausted. You will be cutting the grass seed heads, too, so will need to continue to replant annual grasses. You could spray Glyphosate (Roundup) to kill everything, broadcast your grass, then after the grass is established and the weeds are growing good, spray the field with 2,4D. That kills all the broadleaf weeds and doesn't harm the grass.
In my north country, the time to plant grasses has past. August 1st is the cut off date. The grass won't have enough time to establish itself between now and show. Grass seed is costly, so be sure of the dates you can plant and expect survival.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Sow in winter or spring when you have snow on the ground. You'll be able to see the seed spread better, and the thawing and freezing will get you good ground contact. When the weather warms up, your seeds will grow.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can think of a way but I don't know how well it'd work for 5 acres.

Spray the existing plants glyphosate (roundup), wait a bit then put down the seed and cover it with straw to keep the seeds in place and the birds from eating them.

I practice permaculture so roundup is a big no no.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how well it would work on five acres, but I just broadcast seed before a heavy rain. The rain will plant the seed. Then mow the weeds, eventually the grass will win.

Is this for pasture, lawn, or something else?
Pasture. Hoping to do a fall seeding. We don't get a whole lot of rain in the spring usually.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,363 Posts
I practice permaculture so roundup is a big no no.
We humans can rationalize about anything.

In order to produce commercial quantities of grass seed, someone must sharply deviate from the tenants of permaculture. Vast fields of single species grasses require regular applications of chemical fertilizer, selective herbicides, sometimes insecticides and often fungicides.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does your box blade have the holes in the frame for the chisel points? Some do and if so buy some points for it or see if you can buy an old harrow cheap. Bja105 recommendation would be my next choice if I had no other equipment than a box blade.

What are you planting?

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
First, why so many weeds? Grass can usually out compete most weeds unless over grazed, too much wet or dry. If that's the problem , you need to deal with that issue first.

Reactions: haypoint

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We humans can rationalize about anything.

In order to produce commercial quantities of grass seed, someone must sharply deviate from the tenants of permaculture. Vast fields of single species grasses require regular applications of chemical fertilizer, selective herbicides, sometimes insecticides and often fungicides.
It's 5 acres and it's a 5 variety mix. The other 35 are swaled and permied so I hardly think I'm spitting in the face of permies everywhere. My intent is to plant, rotationally graze and reseed whenever necessary. No fertilizers or anything else will be applied, mainly because I'm cheap and lazy.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does your box blade have the holes in the frame for the chisel points? Some do and if so buy some points for it or see if you can buy an old harrow cheap. Bja105 recommendation would be my next choice if I had no other equipment than a box blade.

What are you planting?
We do have the chisel's in it and while they do small furrows I can't lower them far enough to really rip anything up. It's depressing!!

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First, why so many weeds? Grass can usually out compete most weeds unless over grazed, too much wet or dry. If that's the problem , you need to deal with that issue first.
Our property was farm land about 15 years ago. For 9 years it was over grazed by horses. Then we bought it and have done 0 with it since. So where there used to be barren ground we now have weeds. Lots and lots and lots of weeds. My DH laughs that at least the property looks green now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
how about a late fall or early spring controlled burn and reseed after burned off. With 40 acres you ought to at least have a 6' disc to break ground up a little.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how about a late fall or early spring controlled burn and reseed after burned off. With 40 acres you ought to at least have a 6' disc to break ground up a little.
I would be afraid to burn. It's not an impossibility and I like the idea but its' kind of terrifying. I am in Wyoming so we aren't exactly moist over here. More drought, fire warning type. If we could do it though, I'd love to!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts