How to peel boiled eggs properly?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by DixyDoodle, Dec 5, 2006.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Any suggestions? I am having a hard time peeling my one hen's eggs. They are small-medium size and everytime I boil and attempt to peel them, I lose half the egg because the shells stick to the meat so badly, I end up tossing a good portion out.

They say fresh eggs are the worst to peel and I believe it, but I like fresh eggs! :) I've tried boiling them with a few drops of salt and vinegar. Peeling under hot and cold water. Cracking them just slightly and banging the shells all the way around. The meat still won't come off.

Any other ideas? It's such a waste to throw out good eggs.

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Time is the best aid, imo. You need to allow a little bit of air to get under the shell for the cleanest peel.

3. eross230

eross230 Well-Known Member

Someone on this forum suggested steaming fresh eggs instead of boiling them. It really does work. I steam the eggs over about an inch and a half of water for 20 minutes. Let them cool down enough to handle, then rinse in cold water. Most of them seem to peel a lot easier, although you'll still get the impossible egg. Aged eggs are definitly more reliable when it comes to peeling.

4. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I leave my eggs setting on the counter and they peel perfectly. In the summer I put them in the fridge after a day or two but if I bring them in and put them in the fridge right away it takes weeks before I can peel them.

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

When you boil fresh eggs, you have to have the most shock possible in order to get them to peel nicely. Bring your water to a rolling boil. Place the eggs one at a time directly from the fridge into the boiling water, stopping for a few seconds if necessary to wait until the boiling starts again. Once they're all in the water, simmer for 12 minutes. When they're done, plunge them into cold water for a couple minutes before peeling.

6. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

i've had the best luck peeling them by draining off all the hot water and rolling them around in the pan to break up the shell - then run COLD water over them while rolling them around in the pan.. the shells peel right off..

my description makes it sound more difficult then it is..

janis

7. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

This really works, fantastic. Thanks for the info.
    Nancy

8. IdahoGal

IdahoGal Member

I was also getting frustrated with my eggs and did a bit of research. What i found to work perfectly for me is the following:
    1. boil a pot of water with a bit of salt in it
    2. after it is at rolling boil, gently place ROOM TEMP eggs in the pot with a slotted spoon or ladle
    3. Boil them for 14 minutes
    4. Take off of heat and fill pot with running cold water until the eggs are cool enough to touch
    5. Add ice to the cold water in the pot and let sit for 5 minutes
    6. tap eggs on bottom and top and peel under cold running water

This worked amazingly for me with fresh (3 hours old) to older (10 days) eggs. Not ONE egg was mangled. I did 18 eggs flawlessly. And the yolks were not overdone or green!

9. onthespot

onthespot Well-Known Member

I boil fresh eggs all the time. Before I put them in the water, I tap the big end with the back of a butter knife JUST hard enough to hear the shell give barely, not enough to crack it open or make a big crevasse in it. Just tap it hard enough that you hear the integrity of the shell has changed a little. They peel easily if you do that before you boil them. Some people poke a hole in the end with a stick pin for the same results.

10. Dazlin

Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

I boil mine in salt and a little vinegar. Rinse and let them sit in ice water. I gently crack the shells, and leave them taking an ice bath. The cold water seeps in under the shell, and shrinks the membrane, for easier peeling.

11. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

I just tap mine lightly on the kitchen counter so that they get spider cracks and then salt the boiling water and process as usual. Even eggs that just came from the chickens butts will peel easily.

12. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I just take a steak knife and pierce a small hole in the big end.
    Boil for ten minutes and cool them as fast or as long as necessary.
    90% clean shelled eggs every time.

13. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I've tried everything: boil in vinegar water, peel hot, peel cold, peel lukewarm, air dry, you name it. LOL Still get meat stuck to the eggs. I wonder if adding something to their feed? They are free-range, but also get poultry layer feed. Scratch on the side. :)

14. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

Try the steaming method. Best I have found so far.

15. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I second, or is it third?, the steaming. I've been using this method ever someone here mentioned it and it works slick as can be :)
    Mickey

16. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Julia Child's directions call for taking them from boiling water and putting them in cold water, immediately cracking the shells so steam develops between the shell and the egg, making them come out easier.

But having said that, really fresh eggs are always the worst to peel.

Jennifer

17. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Laura Jensen is correct. The way I always boiled eggs was put water in the pot, put eggs in, bring the water to boiling and then try to peel after they are cooked.

I just found out if you bring the water to a boiling point FIRST, and then add your eggs, it works much better. Once your eggs are almost done boiling, get a pan of cold water (ice & water if you have it) and take the eggs out of the boiling pot with a spoon and put into the cold water.

Once the eggs are cool enough to touch, crack the shells, and the shells should come right off!

18. jantoo1

jantoo1 Member

Hi there ya`ll,

Boil water with a bit of salt. After the water comes to a rolling boil gently add eggs. Cook to your taste.. As SOON as you take pot off the heat, empty hot water and start running cold water, even adding ice to cool them is fine, I don`t do that, but you can.. Take the egg, kinda wipe it off. Tap it all AROUND the sides. Remember a baby chicken taps out a hat from the egg and then it can come out.. It turns itself in the egg and taps, taps, taps it`s way out.. PEEL the same way. If it is hard to peel one way turn it and peel it the other way. Always working around the circumference. Don`t try to peel it from top to bottom. Do it sideways, rolling as you go and then the hat and bottom will just pop off.. Very easy.. Works almost 95 % of the time..

Good luck, Ya`ll.. :gossip: :goodjob: