How to package sausage

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Sep 2, 2006.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

What do you use to package or store it in. Do any of you get molds to make it in square blocks? If so where do you get them from? Thanks

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

we put ours in food and bread bags inside of a vacuum seal bag......vacuum seal it and your good to go...this is for bulk sausage not made into links....no particular shape is preferred but mostly they come out looking 'loaf-like'......if you try putting the sausage directly into the vacuum bags you'll realize why we use the other bags also...

3. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

LOL! Why, what happens?

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Well there is no way to get the sausage into the vacuum bags without getting it all over the inside of the bag.....and a greasy bag doesn't seal very well.....its a mess and much more trouble than its worth!

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

the thinner the block the faster it freezes and so the less chance of bacterial contamination. Loaf pans are traditional, and usually safe, but I prefer to be a little more careful. Of course if you cook it loose like for tacos or chili, you will kill anything that might be hiding. I use sandwich sized zip locks (they hold about a pound and a half) and then slide them into one of the vacuum seal tubes, they just fit. Leave the very edge of the zip seal open so the vacuum takes and then vacuum about five of them in each tube. That way when I open one tube I can finish sealing the zips on the others and use them up in sequence before any freezer burn. It also makes the vacuum tubes easier to clean.

6. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

I used Glad Press and Seal for a sausage roll (to be made into patties) that worked well. I would prob. do a vacuum seal with a few rolls for freshness. Sausage wouth preservatives doesn't taste as "sausagy" (not a word I know) when left in the freezer. I did the deal a meal with sausage links and it really tasted fresh 10+ months in the freezer.

7. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Does no-one still use muslin cloth, sewing into a tube, and then "Wring down" the sausage to get a good compact fill? Some then smoke the "sack" of sausage as we always call it. We merely wrap in freezer paper and immediately freeze. When thawed you just slice off patties like the tubes of pseudo sausage they sell in the grocery store.