Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have to wood stoves in our home. Dh always cleans the main one in the living room and I do the cookstove.

dh had the main one done. We haven't used the cookstove yet this season, but really wanted to bake some bread and cook some chili on my stove. Dh offered to do the cleaning, I told him no, I'll do it.

well, I really wanted to shower and wash my hair. So I did. Before cleaning the stove. Ugh!!!!! I have waist length hair and was squeaky clean, when done I looked like something out of a Charles dickens book. Well, dh had a good laugh and I went to shower again. After my second shower, I realized I still had to put all the plates back and empty the ash mess.

put hair up and wear a bandana, don't wipe your face after your hands have been scraping ashes, put all plates back and empty ash mess.....then shower.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I can relate. There is no way one can wear decent clothing eather. No matter what I do I get black soot on me. I've even got a nice scar on my belly from bending over the stove to reach the damper above the shelf.(I'm short) I used to have a nice stick that fit the damper and I could use it to tip that damper, someone must have used my perfect stick. Funny how one gets a certian thing like that that makes one's job easer. Oh Ya, turn the fan off when messing with ash.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a thingy at the bottom where you clean the oven ashes to catch all the mess. The thingy I put down had a hole in it, so soot and ashes all over.

I'm short also and big chested, I had two big black spots on the front of my shirt from leaving over the top to get the inside cleaned. Dh keeps me around for laughs.

7thswan.....thanks so much for telling me how to find the oven cleaning thing last year!!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I put a thingy at the bottom where you clean the oven ashes to catch all the mess. The thingy I put down had a hole in it, so soot and ashes all over.

I'm short also and big chested, I had two big black spots on the front of my shirt from leaving over the top to get the inside cleaned. Dh keeps me around for laughs.

7thswan.....thanks so much for telling me how to find the oven cleaning thing last year!!:thumb:
I never understood why the eyes were removable before. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to be able to use a shop vac, but would have to find a decent 12 volt one, as we only have dc/12 volt solar power.

mpillow.....as far as taking it outside, well we brought the stove in before putting up the final wall in the kitchen. It was the only way it would fit in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts