How to move to the country.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by busy homestead, Apr 21, 2005.

1. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

Well at risk of being flamed-please dont do that because I dont mean
    this in a bad way!!

I am going to make a few requests of those moving to the country.
    Things to think about really.

The other day I read a post on here that was bragging up
    South Dakota. And my inital thought was "oh please dont
    do that". And let me tell you why-
    *I love South Dakota and dont intend to move from this
    area unless God has a diffrent plan for me. So understand
    that I think it is a wonderful place to live.
    *Because I have lived here most of my life (only moving to
    the pacific NW for a year or so as an adult) I know what
    it is like to have town people move out to the country. And
    here is my point-

Living on a farm my whole life in basically the same area I have
    seen alot of people come and go to this area. We live near a
    fair sized city with lots and I do mean LOTS of people moving out
    here to live the country life.
    This has been a horrible thing in our area. If you intend to move to
    the country then expect to live like country folks.
    Dont complain about the smell of manure. Even if it is coming from
    a hog confinement that you dont agree with. I have a hog confinement
    just down the road from me that I smell all the time. But guess what...
    it is owned by a family trying to make a living just like me. They have
    farmed this land longer than I have been alive and it would be crazy to
    ask them to change. So of coarse I wouldnt, but others who have
    moved here expect them to change. That is just insane. Know the
    area you are moving to before you move there. Are there smells, is
    it leagal in your are for hog and cattle lots? Because if it is legal
    dont be surprised if they pop up and dont complain when they do.

Roads- be considerate of the roads. When it has rained dont go
    plowing down the roads like it is dry. Not only do my taxes have
    to fix the mess you creat but so do everyone elses taxes. And
    most importantly, if you move to the country dont expect that you
    should have your road improved in anyway . I mean it, not in ANY
    way, you knew the condition when you moved there. Expecting it
    to be changed will change eveyones taxes so dont complain when
    they go up.
    We have a group of town people who built million dollar homes less
    than a mile from me. Now they want the road paved because it is
    too hard on their sports car. I wish I was kidding or even exagerating
    but not so. The home owners with the gated driveways are raising
    quite a fuss and they will not be the only ones paying for that new
    road regardless of their share of the taxes, I will have to pay too.

2. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Not all of us are horrible "city" folks. There are some of us who truly want
    to live a simple life and fit in.

So far, it looks like we will build because not much was available, We are
    going to build an average house not a huge mcmansion - we want something that we we can afford.

Some of the side roads/shortcuts and most driveways are gravel so hubby
    is selling his sportscar because it will ruin it and we want to put that $$
    towards our house instead owing more.

If i start a business, i will make sure it doesn't put someone else out and
    fit's in with what the locals want or maybe that can help something some
    of the locals can make.

We don't mind having to drive for services that's why we are leaving this area.

Not all of us are bad - there are some who truly want to simplify. I plan on
    a very large garden (i have good size one now), preserving, learning to quilt,
    volunteering in the community and becoming a part of it i hope.

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I second the motion. If you don't like the way things are out here, then don't come out here.
    We had a young couple move in down the road last year. We try to catch them outside to get to know them, but they never go outside. They complain about snakes, but they won't mow, and have weeds growing tight up to the house, and piles of old lumber and tree branches everywhere.
    They don't have any animals except for one dog (a lab) who's not allowed outside by himself. No garden, no flowers, no fences, nothing that would require living 16 miles from town.
    Why'd they move here? they are 40 miles from where they work, 14 miles off the pavement with a new baby. That kid won't be allowed to play outdoors, they might as well live in an appartment in town and sell the place to somebody who wants to live in the country.
    They bought the place from my aunt for 20k, a huge old house on about 3 acres. If I'da been thinking, I woulda bought it myself. :grump:
    Maybe some homesteader should make them an offer for the place? :cool:

4. busy homestead

For some reason I accidently ended my post-sorry.

There is one more thing I wanted to address -
    If you are moving to the country, please please
    please do not do so so that your dogs can have
    room to run. I have had sooo many dogs running
    around here that belonged to others
    over the years I literally could not count. I am
    tired of having to take puppies to the pound that
    people have left on the road. Tired of shooting
    dogs while they are killing my chickens, tired of
    having livestock run and run because of dogs
    chasing them. Even had to put a gelding down
    because dogs ran the horses threw a fence in
    the night and the gelding got hit by a car on the
    road while running from the dogs.
    And yes we have dogs to guard. But things happen
    and there have been times we were without one for
    awhile. But I shouldnt have to run chickenwire around
    my entire place to keep out running dogs :bash: :no: :bash:

So anyway, my point of all of this is just simply please
    dont move without knowing the way of life where you
    are moving too.

And because of the problems town folks have caused
    by moving to the country for those of us who have
    lived here forever. Dont expect a welcoming committee
    unless you are willing to be very friendly yourself and
    considerate of others.

And yes I am grumpy today because I just had a town
    person tear up our road, pull in and leave piles of mud
    in my driveway that fell off their vehicle because they
    wanted to take the scenic route!! Saturday had to
    run off another dog and am sick of all of it. Darn it I
    just dont understand it. :grump:

5. busy homestead

sorry forgot to sign my name.

Christina
    athome in South Dakota

6. busy homestead

brural,
    If that is your intention then you are certainly welcome in my
    neighborhood! :)

My frustration is not with most people it is just a few.

Christina
    athome in South Dakota

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Christina, no flames, but here you are mostly preaching to the choir! The same issues you have addressed have been addressed many times before, some even within the past few days.

I've visited South Dakota *very* briefly a couple of years ago, and thought it looked like a nice place for farming.

Kathleen

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I think you're preaching to the choir too... I just HATE it when people move to a rural area and then start complaining about it. What is it with these people?

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Amen! Preach on!

Here are a few more.

Words that should never ever cross your lips are "Back where I come from we do it like this.." or "Where I lived before we had so and so..." We don't care. If they did things so great go back there.

Tractors, livestock and farmers make noise.

Don't come in and then start bitching about the farmer next door spraying his crops and causing some aggravation of your imagined chemical sensitivity. That round-up and anhydrous ammonia isn't going to cause you to flop around on the floor like a gaffed tuna on the deck of a charter boat. If it does call me so I can come over and point and laugh. Ok maybe that last part was a little harsh. I'm in a surly mood as of late.

If you let your dog run loose to chase stock and deer don't be surprised if Fido doesn't come home. In general keep your pets and kids under control.

Don't run p*ssing and squealing to the cops when you see a guy carrying a gun or a gun in the back window rack of a truck. They are simple tools to us out here and are no threat to you. Same goes for reporting gunshots to the sheriff. Your neighbor up the road is probably plinking tin cans with his son on Sunday afternoon or if it is deer season it might sound like downtown Baghdad. Chill. It ain't the Crips doing a drive by on the Latin Kings. Reporting the above annoys the sheriff and ties up deputies that could be out doing something useful like serving papers or rescuing babies from gypsies.

The roads are unpaved and we like them that way. It keeps out the town trash.

We burn wood and we may also burn our trash every week and leaves and brush on a regular basis. Deal with it or go back to where you came from and live in a hermetically sealed bubble. Here's a hint. If you are that delicate you probably aren't cut out for the country life.

Fences are there for a reason. Don't trespass. Learn property lines and be sure you and your family and visitors know where they may go and where they may not.

Don't come to the area and immediately start writing letters to the editor, running for public offices etc. Telling us that we are backward, hillbilly, redneck, hayseed hicks is not a way to make friends and influence people. We don't need you to enlighten us as to how we are backward, hillbilly, redneck, hayseed hicks. Don't female dog that the schools aren't teaching what ever curriculum that was being taught back in your former schools. We have our own set of community values and morals and we don't want you forcing yours on our children. Many of us live here to get away from those things even when we could live much more comfortably in the city. We don't want our kids exposed to such things. Don't like it? Homescool and keep your pie hole closed or move back to the city.

Don't give your kid a dirtbike or ATV with loud pipes so he can ride it every day for hours on end and annoy the hell out of everyone within a 3 mile radius.

If you are going to grow prohibited pharmaceuticals do so discretely and on your own property. We don't particularly care if what you do but please don't deal from your home. It brings in too much riff raff.

Farmers often run their equipment 24/7 during harvest and planting time. Don't get all huffy about it.

That tractor and planter has as much right to be on that road as does your minivan.

Generally country folks are extremely kind and generous but understandably can be wary of strangers at first. Be friendly and polite and you will fit in before you know it.

Oh and I'll add one more. For the love of God, don't climb a fence and sit your children on farm animals! It isn't a petting zoo! "Ma'am it probably isn't a good idea to be on that side of the fence with Mercer's bull let alone putting your 2 year old on his back." I didn't know whether to defecate or go blind when I seen that one.

10. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Add from my corner:

If we thought that we need street lights, stop signs and traffic lights around here, we'd have them. We don't need them though, and neither do you.

Feel free to go ga-ga over the wolves, but don't come complaining when they eat your little lapdog.

No, the elk don't stay off the roads and you can't make them.

Skunks don't know that it's cute coyotes you're trying to entice to come to your porch, so they'll eat your dog food bait just the same and spray your Fifi in the process. Live with it or quit feeding wildlife.

If I find your dog chasing my critters on my fenced property, I will shoot him. It's legal, too. If you don't want your dog to get shot, keep him at home.

If you barbecue, use a chainsaw, run a 4-wheeler through the brush, burn your grass or light a camp fire during fire season, we will lynch you and feed your body to the wolves. (Well, that one's wishful thinking)

11. fearlessemily

fearlessemily Member

While I know each of the posters to this thread has very legitimate horror stories and I certainly was appalled by many of the things you described -- letting dogs run after other people's livestock, insisting that roads be paved because of damage to sports cars, etc -- at the same time the whole tenor of this thread comes across to me as judgemental and closed-hearted. This "I was here first, if you don't like everything exactly my way, leave" mentality honestly is kind of sickening to me. I am not saying that it isn't important for 'city people' to respect the culture of the communities they move into, only that these emails really seem to imply that those 'city people' don't deserve any voice in their new environments.

Just as an example --new folks come into a community and pay taxes, they have just as much claim to have a say in the educational curriculum as you do. Thats not saying they have a right to get their way, only that their voice has a right to be heard -- telling people to "keep your pie hole closed or move back to the city" goes against everything I believe America stands for -- namely the idea that everyone has a right to their voice, even the minority.

Nothing and no place stays the same, and no matter how much folks want to keep "outsiders" out, our whole country's history is of a huge mix of people needing to figure out how to get along. In my opinion that involves compromise from *everyone*.

Emily

12. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

all the post i have read we feel very lucky we dont have any trouble with people letting there dogs run loose or tresspasers allmost never see a car that dont belong down the dirt road everyone is nice and will stop a minute for a chat jim

13. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I can definitely relate to the "tearing up the dirt road" thing...

We get visitors (and yes, some residents) that barrel up and down our dirt roads like they're paved.

Every now and then the roads get a load of gravel and by the end of a day or two, most of the gravel gets flung up onto the hillside because people are hauling grits around like it's the AutoBahn.

*sigh*

Oh well.

I'm one of those city people that moved to the country and so far, I have no complaint. Well, I have some. I hate it when tourists come to the end of my dead-end road (where my house is), turn around, and PARK...just staring at my house.

Making comparisons to their house?

Like the design and want the architect's name?

Wondering how they, too, can get a piece of land like mine?

Planning on coming in like the raiding Mongol hordes and steal it out from under me?

I know they're tourists because they usually have Washington plates and often car-rental agency stickers on the rear end.

I figure one of these days my pregnant mind is going to snap and I'm going to give them a show, striding out there with a .30-06 and a grin.

:haha:

14. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Threejane, you make me laugh! lol!
    I second all the motions!
    NO we are not being meanspirited! We are close enough to the dallas metroplex to be annoyed by them..... We know when we slow down to turn onto our dirt road and get nearly blasted off the hwy that is was "one of them dallas folks"
    irritates me to death!
    I HAVE met folks sightseeing in my yard with my shotgun!! (I guess that is menopause there) And why on earth would someone thing they can just drive up and 1/4 mile horrible potholed drive way and just "check out" my land??? HELLOOOO!!!! So, now I have had to put up a locked gate. I have almost all my 26 acres fenced, but, my dogs do get out... If they chase your stock, shoot em dead! If yours chase mine, I will do the same....
    It IS annoying for someone to march in and try to run our little town, and my little plot of land.... Have a real nice neighbor guy that came from town, he came, introduced himself, asked to see the corners of his property (had to cross mine to get there) and is an ok guy. I dont care if they take fifi out for a walk, and hey, if they want to drive that sports car up and down that road, its ok... (but now it is parked, under a tarp lol)
    I am so very glad to hear I am not alone. I thought it was just my corner of the world!
    I am happy to have folks that want to fit in and get away from the city, I wouldnt want to live there either. But, learning the law of the land is the correct thing to do....

15. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Amen! I agree with everything in this post. Well said.
    tnborn

16. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

First I would like to say, most new folk want to tell the locals how awful, backward and wrong their ways are. If you want your ways, go back home! No one wants to hear it. People in communities have their ideas,way of doing things and are not going to change just because of your arrival. Educational systems vary in every region. Some school systems lack money.This is a problem. Another problem is that "city" folks think that all roads should be paved. If I wanted paved roads, I would live in the city? :confused: I like my privacy that is why I live in the country :D It is not closed-hearted to feel the way that I do. Becasue, I see people moving in from the "city". They are rude and generally their ways are better therefore, they act superior and treat us locals like hillbilly idiots. Like we all smoke corn cob pipes, marry our kinfolk, generally ignorant and lack hygiene. :no: Personally, I do not know anyone who fits those descriptions.
    tnborn

17. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

hey i smoke a corn cob pipe :D

18. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thats cool mtman :cool: I hope that I did not offend. just showing a stereotype that most "city" folk have of us tenneseans.
    tnborn

19. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I’ve been saving for the move from this hell hole called Los Angeles. I want the solitude so bad I could spit. Another year or so ought a do it.
    I love reading this board. I’m a jack of all trades and with the information I’ve learned here, don’t plan on bothering the locals. Except may be to shoot their dog. (Just a joke)
    Can you believe on some posts shooting dogs is talked about like it’s nothing, but on other posts you’re flamed to death for your dog getting heartworm. I think the term they used was “treating dogs and cats like second class citizens”. I fell on the floor laughing. Animals? Citizens? It reminded me of a couple weeks ago the wife and I were watching the Professional Bull Riding on OLN. Now these announcers take great liberties referring the bulls as athletes. But they can make some amazing moves for 2000+ pounds. Then one of these guys called, I think it was Little Yellow Jacket, a great roll model. I couldn’t stop laughing. I kept picturing calves crowding into barns watching their roll models on TV.

20. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

I moved from the Boston area to this small town in Maine in 1969. First off I hated living in the city and always loved our visits to relatives here. We bought a little over two acres with two small camps and an outhouse. We used it for vacations and weekends. Then we were really blessed a cousin had bought a home and offered us the mobile home they had lived in by just taken over the $90 a month payments. The mobile was two years old and had three bedrooms and two baths. We had it moved on the property here and made the final move up here. We lived in it for about 10 years then sold it a built a log home. I have never regretted getting out of the city. We have raised chickens, goats and pigs in the past. Have had vegetable gardens and just love it here. We no longer raise the animals as out health is not up to it. But dh did mention today that we might get some chickens next year. So who knows? Things just worked out for us to get up here and I am ever grateful to my cousin and her husand. I always knew I was not happy with city life and couldn't wait to get in the country.

RenieB