Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 8 foot green treated fence posts on my property. I want to move them to build a chicken run (for winter) enclosed garden (in spring & summer to keep deer out). How do I get them out of the ground to move them? They are probably 2 feet down (I'm guessing). And when I relocate them do they have to be 2 feet down or can I put them 1 1/2 feet down to give me more head room to work in?

Thanks for any advise,
Morning Owl

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, my neighbor does have an old front end loader. He told me it doesn't have any down push to it so he couldn't dig the post holes for me. I never thought to ask him if he could pull the posts up. Now the trick would be getting the loader to the posts. :rolleyes: He has an old car, parts for all his machines and stuff there (He's a mechanic). That is why the original owners put the fence there. I don't mind, I like him and his stuff. :p

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks FreeRanger, I'm not building a coop just a coop run. The only weight on it will be chicken wire to keep chickens in, in the winter and deer out in the summer. Do you still think I need to bury them that deep? And while I'm at it :p what is the best way to stretch chicken wire so it is tight? I made a small run 4' square, for my younger 3 week old chicks and I really couldn't get the wire tight. It's functional but looks like slop. :eek:

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bearfootfarm said:
A chicken run doesnt have to be as sturdy as a fence. I still think it would be easier to build it without setting the posts in the ground. When I built mine , I laid the walls out and built them laying on the ground. It was easier to handle the wire that way, and then I simply stood them up. Im assuming it will be attached to a coop, and that will provide all the support it will need. You can use 6 ft wire instead of 4 ft , and 2 X 4 wire will stretch easier than "chicken wire".

This isnt a great pic but youll get the general idea:
Wow, that looks much easier than what I was planning. Then I don't even need to dig up the post at all. This is great. I will do this and save myself alot of work. Thanks! :hobbyhors Oh and I love the roosts in a triangle this will encourage them to roost out side instead of the coop. More poop for the garden. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.