Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little piece of property, and I'm looking to put a shipping container on it. ( 20 foot ) once I get the container delivered, I'm trying to figure out ways to move it, or actually in general how I would go about moving heavy objects around on the property. Tractor supply has these pressure treated round posts that are pretty cheap. Was thinking of getting a bunch, jacking up the container, then trying to use some mechanical advantage system to move it. One issue i have is that there are not many trees on the property to use as anchor points. One person was talking about using a block and tackle and driving a stake ( or a few stakes ) deep into the ground as an anchor point, and using my SUV ( a small SUV ) to pull on the other end of the pulley. Has anyone had any experience moving heavy stuff in this manner? I'm kind of interested in doing this Egyptian pyramid style if possible.

·
Registered
938 Posts
With no equipment, rolling it on posts may be your best option. Especially if you have someone to move the posts to the front as you pull with your SUV. Or you can move it along with something like a digging bar or iron pipe. Shove it under the back 6 or 8" and pry up. If you're on level ground, you may be able to just push it by hand once you get it moving, just make sure you've got something like a digging bar to shove in the ground in front of it to stop it once you get it going! :) I would drive stakes and use a b&t as a last resort unless you've got a lot of rope and can get some distance on your pull because you'll have to be constantly digging up your stakes and moving them farther. If you think you might be at the limit of the working load on your rope, make sure you're either way clear where you're pulling from, or throw an old blanket or something over the ropes from the b&t to the container, because if the rope snaps it can get ugly in a hurry. The blanket will keep the rope from flying back. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Oh yeah, if you've got access to a bunch of healthy high school kids, football guys, Interact club, FFA, church youth, etc, enlist them to help push. Amazing what kids'll do for a little pizza party. :) And clubs like Interact or Key Club are often looking for community service projects to do for their scrap books.

Edit: Just make sure you keep them on the back end and stress safety, safety, safety. Some kids have never done any real work and don't have enough sense to get out of the way of a heavy, rapidly moving object. :)

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
I have a little piece of property, and I'm looking to put a shipping container on it. ( 20 foot ) once I get the container delivered, I'm trying to figure out ways to move it, or actually in general how I would go about moving heavy objects around on the property. Tractor supply has these pressure treated round posts that are pretty cheap. Was thinking of getting a bunch, jacking up the container, then trying to use some mechanical advantage system to move it. One issue i have is that there are not many trees on the property to use as anchor points. One person was talking about using a block and tackle and driving a stake ( or a few stakes ) deep into the ground as an anchor point, and using my SUV ( a small SUV ) to pull on the other end of the pulley. Has anyone had any experience moving heavy stuff in this manner? I'm kind of interested in doing this Egyptian pyramid style if possible.
My Neighbor moved a 2 empty 40 footers with 2 4 wheel drive trucks--set-up side by side, hooked some-what short so when they started pulling the front would be lifted or at least lighten so it would not dig in.

I seen one guy extend a mobile home axle and jack up the container---put the axle almost 1/2 way under---secure then move it with a truck.

Sure if the ground is some-what smooth--you can use round tree's, poles, etc.

I have gotten 3 40 footers and they were Placed when delivered---you can not do that?

·
Super Moderator
16,527 Posts
I moved my greenhouse by putting metal pipes under it, and then my DD and I used crow bars to "pry" it forward an inch at a time. It did work.

I am 5'2" tall, by the way, and I am not terribly physical. It helped a LOT! that the ground was hard and dry at that time.

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
Sheech. Make a plan. When the guy comes to deliver it, have him set it where you want..They can be amazing. I was going to ask why you wanted to move it around, then remembered I moved mine 3 times. :) But I just hired a guy move it. Hire someone that moves mobile homes.
I wanted my 40ft-er where there was a slope and did not want it on the ground. He set it on 2 high stacked railroad ties on one end and one tie on the other. remember, it's steel and if you want it set there forever putting it up on ties works well. I used 10 ft ties.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Guys who hunt on Catahoula lake often have to move blinds in place without something to winch from, since the nearest tree may be 500 yards away or more. They use a homemade rig, where they build a plow to dig into the ground and use a come-along (or winch if possible) to winch from the plow or from a pulley tied to the plow. As the tension builds, the plow digs further into the dirt until it "locks" in and the blind begins to move.

The problem comes in getting the plow tool out of the dirt or mud. they usually have to jack them out or winch sideways.

I could see where you might could do something like this, coupled with the poles you have mentioned.

Reactions: RichNC

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd think even a small SUV could pull it on rollers, as long as you're not going uphill. If the ground is rough I'd put some planks down first for the rollers to roll on. If needed a come-along would work much better than a block & tackle.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Probably around 5000, but not on wheels. A person is not going to put it on pipe and inch it along with a pry bar---was my purpose for posting/pointing out the weight.
A forty footer maybe. 20 fters are lite
A 4x4 short chained could and has moved them

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
A forty footer maybe. 20 fters are lite
A 4x4 short chained could and has moved them
A Quote from a page about storage containers-------

How much does an empty 40ft shipping container weigh?
  • 40Ft shipping container empty weight 3,750kg 8,267lbs
  • 40ft shipping container max gross weight 30,400kg 67,200Ibs
How much does an empty 20ft shipping container weigh?
  • 20ft shipping container empty weight 2,300kg 5,071Ibs
  • 20ft shipping container max gross weight 25,000kg 55,126Ibs

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
If your ground is fairly flat those wooden fence posts should work just fine.

For an anchor get several T-posts. Drive them deep into the ground on an angle away from the container in a row leaving the top about 3' high. Space them about 4' apart. Chain the top of the one nearest the container to the ground level of the the second one. Then top of the 2nd to the ground level of the 3rd. Repeat with more posts if needed. Then fasten the chain, cable or rope from the container to the ground level of post #1.

Reactions: Birchwood

·
Registered
41 Posts
I moved mine this way:
2x10 planks laid flat on the ground in line with the container.
Two jack-all to lift one end and block it there (for safety use good blocks) while I set rollers on top of the 2x10s (I used 2" steel pipe)
then another row of 2x10 on top of the rollers. Remove the big safety blocks, lower the container down on top of the top 2x10's - pull with the SUV ( I used a quad) it moves easy as pie.
you will need to set more rollers (and retrieve ones from out the back) as you go, and lay more 2x10 on the ground but the 2x10 directly under the container will just stay there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I loaded a 20 ft trailer with scrap steel. During the day the ground had thawed and the pickup and trailer sunk into the mud. I used two screw in anchors with a chain between them and a 5,000 12V winch to move it about 60 ft to dry ground. The PU was belly down in the mud as was the trailer. I'm sure the pu and trailer weighed a lot more that 5,000 lbs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts