How to move a shed??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by springbabes, Apr 22, 2005.

1. springbabes

springbabes New Member

We have a garden shed we would like to convert into a chicken coop but first it would need to be moved several hundred feet down our sloped gravel driveway. It is wood, about 10'x14' and 10'-11' tall. What is the best way to do this? I think disassembling it and moving it in pieces might be the right approach but my husband would rather not have to put it back together and thinks moving it whole would be easier. Is this possible? What would be the easiest way to do this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

That size you can skid, but it depends on how it's put in the ground right now.

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Easy to do - or difficult, depending on where you are strating from?

I would lift a side with the loader, roall a telephone pole from the pile under. Lift the other side, roll another pole under. Brace both ends of the poles so they can't move together closer. Bolt/tie on a chain, and pull it to the new location with the tractor.

Now, what kind of flooring/ footing/ foundation does the shed have right now? And what materials do you have available to you for pulling it, lifiting it, etc. Can easily be jacked up with a couple of handyman jacks if no loader. Can use 4x4 or straight logs if no poles. Maybe pull with a 4wd pickup if slow. is the ground fairly level & open & such to manuver? Might have to brace the building if no solid floor or solid bottom sill to keep it sound & square. Can screw on 2 2x6s down the length of each side and invite the neighbors over (20 or so), everyone lift & carry it to the new location.

Many ways to do this, what do you have available and how is the building built?

--->Paul

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

a number of years ago our church bought the lot next door and we sold the house off to be moved, and there was small garage, about 10' by 20' and they wanted it move off the place, I said I would do it, first we bolted about 6, 2x6 across the building to one strength it and so there was a place to set it on the deck of the trailer, so one day I took my 24' trailer in to town and proceeded to jack the building up after jacking and blocking it up and backed the trailer it into the building and then proceeded to lower the building on to the trailer,

it was working great we made the 6 miles on the highway, and then went 4 miles on the dirt roads, and we went over a cross road, there was a hump and I could feel the trailer lift, when we went over it, apparently it stressed one of the 2x6 that we had bolted across, and it snapped, I looked back in the mirror of the truck (we were traveling about 25 mph), and the back of the building start to lower, and then the whole building drops, and starts to skid along the road way, then it decided to turn 90 degrees and attempted to slid side ways, well it did very poorly sliding side ways, and collapses in to heap of rubble in the middle of the road,

(actuly I whished I would have had video of it, it was kinda neat, but very sicking at the time.)

I hooked a chain on to some of the bigger pieces and got them drug off to one side so at least one lane of traffic would be open,

we took off and headed for home, 2 more miles, and came back with the loader tractor, and proceeded to push it off in to a ditch, and once there got a wall panel and stacked the rest of it on top of that panel and drug it home to the pit and burnt it,

(note: this was done by a professional, please do not attempt this stunt on you own,)

moral of the story is- USE MORE 2X6's next time,

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Not sure if this is the same as Rambler's method or not. But, I would get myself several round poles or logs that are all about the same diameter and longer than the width of the shed, about six oughta do. Jack the shed up and slide the poles underneath. These poles are gonna act like rollers.

Start pulling the shed with whatever you're gonna use, truck, tractor, 4-wheeler, etc. As the shed moves over the poles, keep taking the ones that come out the back and move them to the front. I hope this make sense.

7. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

My Dad and I moved a small two bedroom wooden house from one end of his farm to the other, about 3.5 miles.

We jacked it up and cut all the foundation ties and used a tractor to draw two old wooden bridge beams under the house which was lowered on to them.

Then with two tractors we set off stopping only to cut and repair fences.

Those bridge beams were really shiny when we turned them over! :haha:

8. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

For this particular job I think I would consider two skids, utility poles would be good but any heavy timber should do the trick. Jack up the shed and get the existing foundation piles out of the way then lower onto your skids.

A gravel drive should be really easy to skid over but even easier if you have round fence posts or something similar to use as rollers.

I think a shed that size could be moved by a recovery winch on a 4WD and certainly by a tractor or any heavy truck, maybe even a pickup but traction is the challenge. Failing vehicular assistance dont forget things like chain blocks and human muscle if you have the patience.

John

9. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I would nail 2x6 on each end. drill holes in the ends of the boards and add some lawnmower or wheel barrel wheels. Then with a vehicle edge it down the driveway (vehicle in front) and maybe an old tire between the two.

I did this with an 8x12 chicken coop built from barn siding.
    Good luck.
    Scott

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i never heard of moveing a building at 25mph sounds kinda fast hmmm maybee thats just me that thinks so

11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

it was fasented on to the trailer and was going good untill the first 2x6 broke, then it was a chain reaction with the other 2x6's.

it was like moving a small trailer house. untill the failure,

when we move the chicken house we moved it 80 miles on the same trailer, and at speeds up to 25, but it had a full floor. no misshaps on it,

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

fit the shed with wooden sled rails.

then slide it on a rail toad track of beams.

shed rails this way: ===
    poles to slide them over this way: ]]]]]]]]]]]]]

we have moved sheds like thios before and dn hill they will take off away from you.

we have moved shipping containers on shedual 40 pipe like roller bearings under it, this also can be dangerous as once its sliding it cant be stopped easy.. so get anchor ropes on it before you shove it.

Ive seen guys winch sheds onto hay wagons up 4x4 rails.

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Late answer:

I moved a shed of about 10' x 12' made from oak from a hill across the road to my yard. Jacked it up, backed flatbed trailer under it and then lowered it onto trailer. Reverse process when I had it positioned in the yard - which was about the hardest part.

I moved another three sided small shed using fork lift tines on my backhoe bucket. Put them under the back, 4' x 8' plywood in front of the bucket and then cargo straps to secure building to bucket. Then just lifted, moved and placed.

14. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

"The shed has a wood floor, btw, but it will need to be replaced before it's used by the chickens since it's had gasoline/oil spilled on it over the years."

Why is this a problem? You're going to bed them anyhow and after the first clean out you'll never know there was oil on the floor! Lots of farm wood floor wagons etc are treated with old engine oil to preserve them.