How to move 1800 miles cheaply

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BearCreekFarm, Nov 23, 2005.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of stuff that I need to move one-way, a distance of about 1800+ miles. I just checked on truck rentals-yikes!!!! The cost has increased by almost 100% since this time a year ago.

So, assuming that I really need all this stuff, and have to get it moved, what cheap methods of moving might be available to me? I do not own a vehicle, so renting/buying a trailer is out.

I tried to check on PODS but this is a long distance move and I need to call there office to get a quote- they are closed until Monday. Has anyone here used them, and if so, how did their price compare to the cost of a rental truck and fuel to drive it yourself? (More, less, about the same?)

I am not sure exactly how much stuff there is to move, but at least a 16' truck full, more likely a 24 footer.

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

ugg. I'm afraid to ask but what did the rental truck place quote you? We got the same to do in a few years

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

are there train stations nearby? maybe you can move it that way.

4. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

Sell all the big stuff and re buy it at Goodwill or something when you get there. The biggest move we did was 800 miles with a semi. It was so ugly expensive. :eek:

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Sell what you really could easily replace once you get there. Buy a good used pickup and a trailer to haul with. Once you get moved, you could sell the trailer if you didn't want to keep it.

Just one suggestion. Don't know if it would work for you.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Moving large pieces of furniture, particular mattresses and box springs, has several factors to consider. Say you can sell what you have now for $2K and it will cost $3K to repurchase the equivalent in your new location. If the moving expenses associated with them are $1K or less, you are money ahead. Also, you save the labor of loading and unloading, but add on the time and effort required to replace it.

If you are going to have to hire labor to help you load and unload, that is another large item expenses.

If you don't own a vehicle, and go the pod route, you will still have to pay to get yourself there. With a U-Haul you are basically just part of the load. I knew one couple who saved room in the back for a single bed mattress. They slept there rather than in a motel, using Interstate rest stops to wash up. With 1,800 miles you are looking at likely two overnight stops. If you can save $50.00 a night by sleeping in the vehicle, that is $100 towards the cost of moving.

Call around to national freight companies with terminals in your current and next location. You might arrange from them to drop off one of the small vans (the tandem-type jobbies), then haul it and park it where you need to unload.

If you can get down to essentially boxable essentials you might go the Greyhound bus route with your items as cargo.

7. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

I have a caution to add to this discussion. I once tried to move more cheaply. Although I had checked the better business bureau and references, all my wordly goods were delivered to another state and locked in storage, inpounded by, the initials escape me, but by the government agency that regulates moving companies.

8. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

You might try a truck load expediter or load broker. They could likely find you an owner/opperator looking for a back haul going your way for the cost of the diesel. These are tough times for the trucking industry & most drivers are trying about anything to stay afloat. You would also have some recourse if a mishap occured.

9. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Another thing is to call a moving company and see if they have room on a truck going your way. You might have to work around your schedule but at least it's an option to check in to.

Good luck with your move!

/VM

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Purchase a 40 foot semi trailer, have it parked at your place; then broker someone to move it. After it is emptied sell it again for what you purchased it for.

11. Kickapoo

Kickapoo Member

Try ABF U-pack . It's competitive with U-haul and you don't have to drive the truck. I used them once and everything went fine. Selling stuff is a good idea too. Wish we had done that.

12. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

the cheapest way we found was penski truck rental we went allmost 1200 miles got 5 days to get here and it was 1700 dollors that was with pads

13. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

A girlfriend of mine moved cross country last year, she found it cheaper to rent a minivan from a car rental place. I don't know how creatively she packed it.

14. pcdreams

What size truck was this? Just curious because that sounds like a good deal.

15. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

it was a 25 foot diesel packed to the hilt and we got 350 miles on a tank we looked a long time was the cheapest way we found pods didnt come were we were moving

16. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

When we moved 3000 miles 7 years or so ago, we were faced with the same thing. We only had so much money, so we decided to do what someone here has already suggested, buy a 16' trailer (enclosed it ourselves with plywood, etc.). We already had an old 3/4 p/u. Total cost then, including sway/stabilizing hitch, etc. was about 2,500, plus gas and truck of course.

A few months after we got to our destatiion we sold the trailer and stabilizing hitch for 2,000. Total outlay for the trip, gas included, ended up being about 800-$1,000. Which is very decent, considering that the truck rental place wanted $3,000 just for the rental plus the cost of gas!

We would definitely do it again this way.

17. pcdreams

Thanks Mtman. Now what is this PODS I keep hearing about?

18. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

its something like a shiping catainer they drop of by your place you load it they come pick it up and bring it to where you want it they dont cover all parts of the states yet

19. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

When we needed to move from Atlanta to our mountain home last year the largest U-Haul truck was $455.00 for a drop off in a nearby city. However, if I were willing to drive another 70 miles to a hub-city, the price dropped to $173.00.

I finally convinced the local guy to give me the hub-city rate at my local drop off. Not only are the rates negotiable, but they can give you lots of extra free miles and extra days. Do some website work to get a better rate.

20. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

When we moved from SoCal to NoIdaho, it was 1534 miles one way, took three days (we overnighted one night at Dad's in Sacramento, and one night in Bend, OR).

We rented a Penske 25 foot diesel truck. It was $2600 for the rental. We also had a Dodge Ram pulling jetskis and a Jeep GC. We spent about $600 on gas, food, and the one night at the motel (for two rooms, one for my family and one for hubby's brother and my aunt to stay in).

It would've been over $3500 for a moving truck to truck it up there for us. UHaul tried charging $3300 for their 25 foot truck (anyone notice UHaul is a real ripoff these days?)

We did end up having to chuck a lot of junk (who'd'a thought we had so much junk at our old house?) but we did bring beds, mattress, etc. Things like old BBQs and such were pitched into the rolloff dumpster.

However, that was in April of 2004 when gas prices were in the $1.80 to $2.00 range. I'm sure everything has gone up now, even though gas prices are going down. I do know it's usually cheaper to move in the middle of the week than on the weekend. If you're going to a small town, like mysticokra said, try to get your dropoff in a bigger city. It was $100 less to drop off our truck in Spokane versus Coeur d'Alene. Then again, if you have no car, it might be difficult for you to get back home!

Side note - you don't own a vehicle? How do you do your shopping and the like? (just curious) I would be downright SOL out here without a vehicle!