how to market trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by silosounds, Nov 13, 2004.

1. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

Could anyone give me information on how to market trees in a rural setting?
    We started a tree farm last year 2003-04 and have had a little trouble finding a market for our species, we have a lot of native species for Kansas, and thought when we started that we wouldnt have a problem since most the farmers around here plant shelter belts from nursery stock. We tried going to the USDA
    office since they offer farmers programs for habitat wind break projects but found out they purchase their stock from the state university for cheap,
    and most the farmers dont want to buy because the USDAs .offer is to
    their benefit. We dont really have landscape companies since there is no building of houses in our area within 60 miles. so we need other resources to find a market . If anyone could help us or direct us to a resource we would appreciate it .

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Are any of the trees small enough to package up and send through the mail?

You might try listing them on the barter board. You won't make a living that way, but it can get you practice for on-line sales, and if you are starting up a business you can probably use a little money.

Where are you located?

3. silosounds

we live on a reclaimed farm in northcentral Kansas.

4. Terri

Nice country, there. But yes, the population IS relatively thin up there.

I am half the state away, a little West of the Kansas City, Kansas, area. I know of some LOCAL nurseries, but I am afraid you are a little out of my area.

You might try calling eberything in the Yellow Pages, but selling on-line might do better for you. Some of our native trees like redbud are lovely, and you might be able to make a go of things that way.

5. silosounds

Im not very up on how the internet works or how to sell on line in fact this is the first time Ive ever used the internet tech. and im enjoying it alot just hope it doesnt take the place of meeting peaple in person . I see the benefit of using it though.does anyone know were to start on marketing on line?

6. Terri

I would start on the barter board site. It is quick and easy.

I am afraid I cannot say anything about E-bay or making a website: I don't know enough.

7. silosounds

Thanks for that info ill need to find a way to ship to peaple and only sell trees that could be shipped im not up on all the stuff that is available to ship plants in does anyone know of a resource wholesale or other to buy shipping containers
    or does anyone have experience they could share about shipping plants or trees Ive only sold from the farm as you dig the plant and if it dies its yours ,I find most of the time if a person actually digs and plants they tend to water and take better care of it.

8. Terri

There ARE a few people who have done it, though I have not.

You might try asking on the homestead questions site. This is getting out of the growing plants subject, and you will have more people see your thread if you are on the site that deals with general questions.

I WILL say that I have seen how they handle the hardwar store plants. The root ball is in a plastic bag, which is put in a cardboard box. The boxes are then packed in a larger box.

Good luck!

9. silosounds

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and guiding me to these threads. I never knew they existed.

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Silosounds, you might try e-bay, or yahoo auctions, or try garden watchdog. Look at the way the nusery companies sell their stock. Hope it helps.
    shadowwalker

11. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are trying to market large numbers I would contact nurserys in suburban areas, or in larger towns. You might make more money marketing large numbers of trees for a lower price than by selling small numbers for higher prices. You may even be able to arrange some kind of contract.

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

A website isn't that hard if you use an HTML editor to build it. It will take months to get traffic though, patience is needed. Once you have it running, you can pretty much leave it alone. Occasional tweaking, ect.

13. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

14. silosounds

sounds like i have a lot of learning on how the internet works I was lucky to get here :)