how to make compost

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SAHM, Mar 8, 2005.

1. SAHM

SAHM Member

I feel silly asking this, but I need to make compost for my garden, Our family does not have enough plant waste after juicing, puuring and eating, nor do we have animals (besides the dog and cat) to help make fertilizer or compost. I water my plants with the grey water after I steam my veggies for dinner to give back to the plant what I took, but so far that is it. I have not seen them suffering, but I know they need more. How can I make them some food??

2. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I have two suggestions. I see that you are in Hawaii. If you are close enough to the shore, try picking up some seaweed from the beach. I'm on Cape Cod, and that is the main component of my compost. The other thing you can do is go to any coffee shop and ask them for the used grounds. I go to Starbucks everyday and get a garbage bag full.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

you could contact tree trim companies for wood chips to mix in with the coffee grounds and resteraunts or vegy processing co. for potatoe peels and other bio mass.while meat and sea food can be composted it is best left to an experienced composter you may want to contact a local garden club ,many older people do not mind sharing their experience .other good source are super markets for outer leaves and spoiled produce. horse stables always have freebees in our area . trail and error on amounts of material and you do not want the pile wet just moist. ditch hay is available for the taking and grass clipping ,just make sure there are no sprays!dog and cat waste should not be used in an edible garden but can use in flower gardens. an ad in a feed store can yield rabbit and chicken manure .always keep an eye out for things that are not being utilized. not sure if the local fast food use fresh banana's but the peel has lots of potash.

4. dla

dla Well-Known Member

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I used to be a curbside raider for bags of grass clippings and leaves, but now I realize that most people spray, especially here in Texas. If you can ask people you might find out some places that have a more organic lawn? Grass clippings layered with leaves are good, and break down quickly.

Also used to buy exhausted compost from a mushroom farm for $14 a pickup truck load!

Seaweed does make excellent compost. I used it in San Diego.

I've also seen a little unit that you keep on the kitchen counter for wastes in small amounts.

Restaurants and grocery stores have lots of salad trimmings and vegetables that are bruised or too old to sell. Once again, these vegies have been sprayed for the most part. Grocery stores used to give away entire boxes of lettuce outer leaves and carrot tops.

hollym

6. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

-Most newspapers are now printed with soy inks, and can be shredded and composted. Some people compost cardboard, too, but not sure about the glues in it.
    -Maybe your neighbors have pets like gerbils, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc? When they clean the cage, they might save the bedding and critter manure for you. I compost the bedding (aspen shavings) from our chinchilla's cage.
    -Neighbor's yard waste? They might be happy to not have to bag it and drag it to the curb/dump.
    -Tree trimming companies will often deliver free wood chips if they are working in the area.
    -Landscaping companies might have waste you could compost as well (hedge trimmings, grass clippings, etc.
    -You can compost the hair from your pets, and yourself, but it doesn't add much to the pile. :haha:
    -Restaurants/coffee shops were already suggested...

True, some of these things might have been exposed to chemicals, so you'll have to check on that and pick out the best/safest sources.
    When approaching business owners, make it positive for them - you'll take it for free, it's good for the environment - less waste to the landfill, and a good thing for their company to do in general. Make it good PR for them to participate.
    Be creative. You never know what other sources might be out there.

Diana