How to make a semi-automatic waterer??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hmcgov, Apr 3, 2006.

1. hmcgov

hmcgov Member

I was wondering if anyone had instructions about how to make a semi-automatic waterer. I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets I would like to rig up but don't know how to go about doing it or what equiptment I would need. Can anyone help me out??

h.

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Bass Products ha some nice infor on line--ssset up your water lines and nipples so that there is a slight slope away from the water supply. The water upply shoul be higher than the water lines-- gravity keep the water flowing, an presure behin the nipple balls keeps the weater in the line until the rabbits want it.

pleae excue my typimng,-- some dog of mine spilled my dinner onto my keyboard!!! I would say rabbit, but I think the rabbit wa nowhewre aroun!

3. kountrycritters

kountrycritters Active Member

first you need to see if your local feed store sell water lickers (they are usually brass if so get a few extra to have on hand. then try your local hardware store and get plastic t's you will need one for each licker. then get tubing (flexable plastic) this tubing will need to fit the other end of your licker
    and connect to the T(up & down part) buy enough tubing to run the lenth of your cages and down to each licker. you will also need a fitting to go into the center of the bottom of your bucket (get some sealer to seal the the fittingto prevent leaks). now to put it togather drill a hole to fit your fitting in the bottom center insert the fitting and seal check for leaks then hang on one end of your cages (above them and a little off to the side dont want any spills pouring on your rabbit) the cut a piece of tubing to fit the bottom of your bucket to the first T on the first cage and cut tubing from T to licker
    and connect. (they also sell clips that the licker fits into so you can clip it to the cage if not get some wire to fasten. contine to the last cage you will have a tubing on the last top end of your T either fold tubing and secure with wire or buy and end cap. pm if you want to call me or I will gladly call you. it is alot easir than it sounds my 5 gallon bucket filled last a about 5 days. when we used to have 200 breeding does we had a complete auto water system that the hose stood connected to and it filled auto. but this system works find. depending on who often you want to fill 1 bucket should last 4-5 days for 6-7 rabbits but check often at first to see how much they are drinking and keep in mind as the weather gets warmer they will drink more often. like above post said if you go to bass they have a picture of the system you can refer to

4. kountrycritters

kountrycritters Active Member