Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Real Estate forum, but it hasn't gotten much traction there other than another HTer wanting the same info :)) so I hope no one minds if I cross-post it here.

I am interested in buying a small land parcel (as small as 0.5 acres if surrounded by woods, or larger if I need it to get the privacy/view I want) in the Smoky or Blue Ridge Mountains to put a little off-grid yurt on for weekend/occasional use. This is a long-term plan - although I'd love to find a place soonish so that I can start using it, I'm viewing this as a five+ year process so I'm willing to wait for the right place/price. That said, I'm planning to go up and do some camping next week and start looking around to get a general idea of areas to look at (the campground is in the Maggie Valley, NC area). As I begin this process, I thought I would ask y'all for advice on looking for and at land.

I've read here and elsewhere that I should advertise locally to see whether someone would sell me a bit of their land; what, in an ad, might make you consider splitting off an acre or so of your property? Is leasing something I should be looking at?

I know that certain areas are experiencing issues with meth and other undesirable elements. How can I tell whether this is a problem in a particular area, other than just asking?

What would be viewed as "unreasonable" or "weird" by someone coming into your area to look at property? Although I'd only be using the land occasionally (weekends and maybe a month or so in the summer), I'd like to be a good neighbor -- and to HAVE good neighbors.

Thanks for any advice regarding these questions and stuff I haven't thought to ask.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Your question is very broad. The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure you are not in a flood plane. Around here, recreational land might be close to a river and known to flood. No building permits at all. Camping is OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts