How to Kill Bedbugs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ELOCN, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is bedbugs or not, because I haven't seen them. But it sure is itchy in one bed. What do you do? How do you get rid of them? How do you know if it's really bedbugs?

2. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

whatever it is, if it is bugs, you can seal all the bedding in a heavy duty plastic bag, there is a size spicifically for the mattress, use a vaccum and suck out the air so everything is compressed. all mites and bugs will explode and be dead. bedbugs can be seen, they are not that tiny, my father told about being exposed to lots of them during the war. I guess you could also for a while wash your bedding daily and vaccum the mattress, boxspring, every crack and crevice where a small bug could hide. I can imagine that a boxspring would be a good hiding place.

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

If you have DE available, dust everything down making sure to get it into all of the tiniest of holes including the bed frame. Seven dust is also ok but I wouldn't sleep in the bed during trreatment. If you have them in one bed, you have them in all of the beds. You just haven't gotten an infestation in them yet. make sure to treat them all.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

A bedbug will tend to bite several times in a straight line. You can also put double sticky tape around the legs of the bed and catch some to be sure that is what you are dealing with. Vacuum everything really well and dust with the DE. You will need to retreat at least 3 times in 2 months to break the cycle. Bedbugs are making a comeback in many areas of the country.

5. carly

carly on winged flight...

Yes, bedbugs....bought a used headboard and footboard once at an auction, and put it together on my bed, all was fine for a couple of years. The I began to be bit. More and more. Since I was the only one sleeping in the bed, they came for me. Finally they just stopped! I shrugged it off as a who knows? :shrug: thing and went on with life----for 2 years. Then they began again......so I researched them and here is what I found out:

they can live for up to 2 years without feeding

you will never kill them all on your own as they hide in the wood of the bed as well as the soft mattress and box spring; virtually anywhere.

they reproduce at a rapid rate

they are very ugly

they live off blood

I caved and called the exterminator and he came out and encased the matress, box springs and all in plastic and used a chemeical on it----since I hate chemicals!!!!! I asked tons of questions and called several to see if they were telling the truth and then looked up the chemicals, etc. They are safe for humans. I did sleep in the guest room for a few nights tho.

The bedbugs have not come back; this all took place in 2004......

Since then I have bought a new complete bedset, including headboard and all.

Good luck! :)

6. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

There is a great resource on the University of Nebraska Web site dealing with Bed bugs (and photos if you can stand it)

Even if you hire a pest control person, I'd read through it first...talks about chemical and non-chemical treatments.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/BedBug263.shtml

Good luck!

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I just saw a blurb on this on TV: apparently they are making a comeback.

They recommended that you remove the sheet and examine the seam around the edge of the mattress, especially near the headboard.

8. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

9. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand you can smell them before you can see them

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Not that I will admit it but it has been said that an effective treatment was chloridane----not sold anymore. Banned years ago, however if you have an old grandparent (say for instance you ex's grandfather) that used to garden you might go through his old stuff in the basement. You just might find a quart bottle of it, manufactured by Ortho. As a sidenote if you looked you might also find his old box of DDT and you might want to hold onto that also since he won't be dusting his roses with it anymore and it isn't available anymore either (at least in this country). Should you happen upon a bottle of chloridane, and should you be troubled with termites, spiders, cockroaches, ect. a small spoonful in a gallon sprayer will keep them away for years. At least that's what I've heard...

11. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

Okay, goody! I have an old bottle of Chlordane. Not sure if it is still potent. The beds in this house don't have boxsprings. What is DE? Does that stand for something? Where would I buy it?

Thanks to everyone who has helped!

12. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Could be fleas too. Are you sure its just in bed or are you being bite in other parts of the house too.

at any rate all living things need water to live so I'd try the same treatment I use on fleas before I chemical soaked my mattress.

Take shallow bowls , corelle or glass works best.

Put two drops of dishwashing liquid in bowl add luke room water about 2/3 rd full on bowl.

The insects will fly in to get a drink of wtaer and the soap makes them unable to get out. You will need to keep water in the bowl as some will evaporate. You'll see the adult fleas or bugs first and then little by little they will get smaller as the adults are all dead and now the youth are dieing.

soap and water, and a bowl, works great on fleas, try it for two weeks i bet you see a marked difference.

13. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

Thank you, WVa peach, I'll try that. Thanks to everyone who responded!! You're all great!