How to kill a tree

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I have what folks around here call a wild cherry tree(aprox 6 to 8" diam) growing right next to an oak of about twice its size. Its an unwanted smaller tree and is smothering the elements from the oak on one side.
    If I dig around the base of the smaller tree and cut it as low as I can then I was wondering if I drill holes in the stump and fill with a "Roundup(all kill)" then would the "all kill" just go to the roots of the unwanted tree or could it effect the roots of the oak that I know are growing close together ?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    To kill the unwanted tree just remove a circle of bark all the way around it, down low, break off any shoots that appear below the ring. The poision will affect the near by tree also - leave it unopened.

3. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

How about just cutting off the tree at ground level and putting a bucket over the stump to stop regrowth??

4. Randy Dandy

Thanks moopups. Thats interesting.
    If I leave the tree standing and remove the bark like you said then will the tree die within a year or two ?
    And then I guess I could wait until the bark starts falling off the tree and then it would be safe to go ahead and cut it down ?

5. Randy Dandy

Thanks Beststash. I didn't think of that. Are you asking or do you know that will work for sure ?

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

"Ring-barking" or "girdling" a tree works. Cut the tree down instead and you risk forcing the tree to send up suckers from the roots, and then you have to deal with ten or thirty trunks.

7. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Roundup is a systemic that should not translocate to another plant unless its the same species and the roots have literally fused together and share sap. Any Roundup that might escape from roots would be immediately bound up by bonds with the soil. Something like Tordon, on the otherhand, can be secreted by roots and does not bind to the soil.

Roundup applied to bark cambium should be translocted to the root and should kill your undesired tree.

Of course, for a singe tree like you describe you can just cut it down very low and pop off any suckers that grow from the low stump and thus, over time, starve the roots.

If you girdle most trees they will usually grow suckers from invisible lateral buds hidden in the bark below you cut.

8. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I doubt if Roundup (glycophosphate) will work on a cherry tree. Brush-B-Gon will kill shrubs and trees. I'd saw the tree down and spray the stump with Brush-B-Gon. It will be sucked down into the roots.

On the other hand since the oak and the cherry tree are getting along, I'd leave the cherry tree to feed the birds.The only reason I might take the cherry tree down is if it was in a pasture I was going to use for horses.

9. Randy Dandy

Thank you all very much for your help.
    I was just inside the house when I thought about looking at the bottle of roundup for a phone#.Anyway I thought any phone#s that I would find would be for poison control only. There it was :) I called and talked to a live person on Sat. afternoon 3:30 central time...WOW :dance: They are staffed with real professionals.
    They said to cut the tree down and brush the base with roundup and drill holes and fill them as well.
    He said that there is no root fusion of any kind. He then said to hold while he double checked with another professional and they said that root fusion is a myth :confused:
    He also took my email address to send information such as reminders when to apply roundup to certain weeds ect..and when to use miracle grow and there is another one and they are all owned by the same company. I think another one was Scotts.com
    The phone# I called was 1 888 ROUNDUP
    Thank you all again for your help.

10. D

D Well-Known Member

I've been trying to kill trees today too. 'Cept I was trying to get away without using any poison. My "trees" are actually saplings, from pencil size to wrist size. They're growing in my highline right-of-way along my steep driveway(which the utility complany will poison for me if I let them get tall enough). I'm trying to avoid chemicals
    a)'cause my Momma will freak out {she's my neighbor too}
    b)I have fruit trees and a small garden within spraying distance
    c)I actually want the blackberries, sumac, and dogwood to grow -- they shouldn't get tall enough to interfere & meanwhile they help prevent erosion.

Most of what I'm trying to eradicate is those little sweet gums, a few cedar, and some oak. I've just been cutting them off at the base; but I know from experience that this is just a short term solution ("wax on, wax off") -- next year they'll be back in triplicate. Will the girdling trick work on saplings? I don't have enough buckets to cover the whole way. Any more non-chemical tips?

11. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

That doesn't always work!
    The previous owner of our place cut a tree down and built a small (12'x16') shed right over the stump. The middle of the shed floor is now raised higher than the rest. :no:

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i would cut the cherry tree down , and save the wood for smoking meats, then keep pruning any watershooots that come up , i certainly wouldnt use a herbicide, the danger to the oak tree is too great

13. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Scott's is who bought Miracle Grow. The company's name for Miracle Grow was and I belive still is Dysart here in Ohio. I use to work for Miracle Grow as a mixer we made it up in 3000 lb batches 1500 in each of the 2 mixers at a time and all so made Davey tree, tree food that they sell we made anywhere from 30 to 50 batches in 8 hours. and then it went to the production room to be boxed up and palleted. We all so made rose food and the tomato food. One of the if not the messyest job's I've ever done As I would go home either Blue or Pink from the dye we used in the mix. Later Matt

14. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

ozarks 1, I wonder if maybe the rest of the shed is lower than the tree trunk portion. In other words, maybe the ground has settled but the trunk has stayed at the same height.

15. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Put a fence around the tree and buy some goats. They'll find a way to get in to strip the leaves several times over the course of the summer which will take care of any hope the tree may have. :haha:
    Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

16. FLhomesteader

FLhomesteader Who's got my BANANAS?

Someone told me once that if you pound copper nails around the base of a tree then it would die and fast.
    Now I dont know anything about it but I thought I would share it with you. Never tried it but hey you never know.
    If I had a tree that need to be gone I think I would try that before poison.
    If you do try it remember Copper nails

17. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

That's what I was going to suggest! With our goats I don't have any problems with young trees, wanted or unwanted!