How to keep veggies fresh till farmers market day

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hengal, Jul 20, 2006.

1. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Good morning. I picked 5 pounds of green beans lastnight and right now have them in the crisper drawer in the fridge - low humidity - they are not in bags. I want to keep them good and fresh to bring them to the farmers' market on Saturday morning. (our church has a booth). Is this the best way to keep them fresh?
    Also, I have a supply of banana peppers that a friend brought into me a work today for the market - they have an over abundance of them. Whats the best way to keep these fresh till Saturday? Refrigerate? No refrigeration?

My produce is just now coming on and I will try from now on to harvest on Friday evenings.. :rolleyes:

Thanks! :)

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd refrigerate both. Bean in the crisper, after washing, and line the crisper with a terry tea towel, and cover the beans with another towel. That's how Grandma did it, and it has worked for me. Unlike plastic, the towel lets the beans "breathe".

Peppers in the crisper, but I don't know that I'd wash them unless they'd gotten really dirty.

You have a few days between now and Saturday. I don't know how long they'll keep, but if they are in good condition going in, they'll probably be okay.

Good luck at the Farmer's Market!

Pony!

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way would be to pick them on the morning of the market. That's what we do for our CSA, but if I had to hold vegetables I would refrigerate the beans but not the peppers, they can be damaged by cold temps. As long as the peppers are in a cool (not cold) place they should be fine.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd spread the peppers out on a clean towel in a cool room. You don't want moisture to build up under them

5. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I keep my green beans in a bowl of water in the fridge.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Dont refrigerate tomatoes either It changes the flavor I think, though people still bought $200 worth from me last year and half were refrigerated.I did not know at teh time you were not suppose to do that, think I learned it on HT.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Do you have a cool cellar? I store beans in the cold room in the cellar for up to a week without losing any crispness.

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I would keep both in the fridge. I have most of my vegetables keep longest if I dont wash them until I am about to use them. (Or in your case, until you are going to take them to sell.) The peppers will rot if they get to warm.