How to keep neighbor's cat away?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nancy in Maine, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone knows of a secret to keep the neighbor's cat from using my driveway as her littler box. She suddenly started doing this a week ago and every day for the past week she left a present. It's hard packed dirt and she doesn't even dig or try to cover it. :mad: It's disgusting. Really. I took a spade and cleaned it up. Threw half of it back over onto her side of the road, hoping it would smell like a litterbox over there, then not knowing what else to do I squirted Fabreeze over the area. Then I came in and looked on the internet and someone suggested black pepper, which I have a pound of, so I sprinkled that on the area too. I odn't know if this was coincidence or not, but last night she didn't mess on my driveway.

Anybody know any other tricks, in case this doesn't work after a few days. Black pepper was expensive last time I priced it. This must be a common problem.

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Ground red pepper and red pepper flakes -- you can pick them up at the Dollar Stores for . . . guess what . . . a dollar -- sometimes 2/$1.00.

Other suggestions -- ammonia, bleach, moth balls, kerosene or turpentine -- something stinky like that.

Then again - a short time ago someone posted on here about various varmint repellents which are liquid and pelletized animal pee -- coyote being the operative one in this case, but bobcat, and others also being available. The company name was Legup Enterprises or something like that. Google "Legup" and it should come up on the list somewhere. Good luck!

MaryNY

3. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Know any trappers in your area?

Ask around and find out who the local fur buyer is. They usually sell supplies including attractants. For those of you not in the know, that means animal urine and baits. He'll have coyote, fox, or bobcat urine. I'd recomend the coyote. And the fur buyer is probably cheaper than buying it from someone that caters to gardeners.

If that doesn't work. Those tool trucks that come around and sell at VFW posts sell chinese made air rifles for $20.00.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Oh, Woodsrunner, you are a baaaaaaaaaaaad cat daddy!! I'm gonna tell Hunter what you said!! Oh, yes I am!! I'm gonna catmail him a message right this minute!!!

5. woodsrunner

As long as he's not in my sights and is fat and fed, he's a happy kitty!

Besides he stays indoors where he can't become anybody elses pest.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've seen something that was a cross between a motion detector and a lawn sprinkler that was pretty ingenious. It would sense the cat or other animal approaching and shoot it with a stream of water. I knew someone that had trouble with her neighbor's cat using her flowerbeds as a litter box. She didn't want to harm her neighbor's cat so she declined my offer of my pellet gun and invested in this sprinkler thing. You could probably find it on google.

7. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Some good ideas there. I go to SAM'S frequently and could get a big container of red pepper flakes. But yes, I should check out the dollar store first.

Hubby has threatened to sting her with a bb gun and I keep telling him that no, he can't do that. But an air gun.....hmmmmm.....

My husband used to trap......he probably has some old urine kicking around somewhere.

The motion sensor sprinkler thing would be fun too. I think my father-in-law brought up a motion detector light in a box of stuff he was cleaning out. We might be able to adapt that soemhow.... :rolleyes:

Poor thing! She just had kittens a couple of months ago. The neighbors had a sign up only 2 weeks ago advertising free kittens.....now she's in heat again--already! She's got a male cat trailing her day and night.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:cool: You don't sound too ready to get real serious about this kitten factory but my personal reaction would be to set out a hav a heart trap and haul her to the pound so she could be adopted by someone who would get her spayed and NOT some twit who lets her run around getting PG all of the time. :bash:

I believe that kitties should haved cat yards or runs and be kept in just like dogs should be and not out pooping in the neighbors flower beds, killing off songbirds, and spreading disease....just me though. ;) Could it be time for coffee? LOL

LQ

9. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Are you friendly with this neighbor? If so..I suggest that you mention they call their local humane society. Most have a spay/neuter program that is VERY cheap. Most folks are just unaware of those programs. I had all my feral cats spayed last fall for $15 each...now there's no fighting..no kittens...just happy cats :)

10. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

My neighbor's cat uses my garden for its litter box. I throw dirt at it if I see it come around and dh uses his old bb gun to sting it. So far its still coming back. I might trap it and call the cops to pick it up as it is illegal to have animals running loose in town. After listening to this same neighbor play loud head banging music until 3:00 a.m. I'm ready to get nasty. :soap:

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

You can not imagine the mental images my brain is playing to my question..."How exactly do they get wild animal urine?"....That and picturing the person who said they had all their ferral cats neutured and spayed last fall...

Hugs
    Marlene

12. woodsrunner

They are byproducts of the fur industry. Unknown to most people there is very little waste.

When I was young and crazy I trapped skunks. There is a state park here in town, they live off the campground garbage until the season ends. Then they move out to the nieghboring countryside and become a nusance. For $25.00 I'd come catch them for you.

I used to collect the "essence" with a hypodermic syringe. Made more money off the stink than I made off the pelts.

13. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well pour me a cup, because it has always been a pet peeve of mine that cats are allowed to run free and use my garden, compost piles, and flowerbeds as litter boxes, frighten my chickens, knock over plants on my deck, etc. I will never understand why it is mandatory to confine a dog, but people feel like it is perfectly acceptable to let their cats roam wherever they please? Not that I want a yard full of neighborly dogs, either, don't misunderstand!

hollym

14. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

mothball crystals work wonders....

15. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Make that 2 please! I can't stand roaming cats and that's why I have a .22 that's used just for that purpose. I contact all the owners and tell them up front that if their cat is found in my yard it will become a target for me to pratice on.( I'm known as the one shot wonder..they dont suffer ) Don't get me wrong..I love cats..I have one of my own THAT STAYS INSIDE AND DOESN'T CRAP AND PEE ALL OVER PEOPLES THINGS!! I can't stand it when they nest under my shed my shed it raised up about 6 inches off the ground and they dig a tunnel to get under we didn't know for the longest time where they were hiding..we took care of entrance hole....at one time we had 20 cats under there...animal control won't take them..they said they are too feral..so we diposed of them.

16. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

If the cat uses the same area as it's own private litterbox. Dig a shallow hole, set an unbated mousetrap, cover lightly with soil and sit back and enjoy the show. If you are worried about the trap snapping hold of the cat's paw you can duct tape a pencil across the baiting side to prevent it from closing all the way.