How to keep deer out of the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by deaconjim, May 18, 2006.

1. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

I know it's late to start the garden, but we've just moved so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

The problem is that it will be easy prey for deer. Any suggestions on how to keep them out?

2. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

well, we just moved too (in sw va no less) and i've started my first large
    garden. Deer are on our property nightly. Here is what i did bought four
    six foot green metal fencing posts and four 5 foot green metal fencing posts.

I then put 6' posts in corners of garden and put yellow flagging tape around top and down about 8 inches from that first layer (where prongs are on the posts). Then 18" out from those posts i put the five foot posts and then put
    three runs of the orange and yellow flagging tape around those and hooked onto the prongs to tighten etc.

Kind of along the lines of a ribbon and yarn fenced garden. I don't want
    electric because of the kids and hte cost this year.

I have also planted things the deer like the least on the first permiter row and will add a few strong smelling herbs (annual) and flowers like marigolds.

So far all has been well, but then again everything isn't big and juicy yet!

I hope it works because it isn't pretty to look at. Also the flagging tape does make noise, etc. when the wind blows and maybe scares them away. Also in all my reading deer do not like double fences because they don't have good depth perception. So far no problems with strong winds and the tape and it's very windy here.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I would suggest reading the many threads we have recently had on that topic if you dont know how to search for them let me know and i will try to find them for you.

4. deaconjim

Thanks, Perennial. I just bought a couple of battery fence chargers (one for the garden and one for the bees). I may incorporate some of your ideas too.

5. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Deaconjim if you have the fence chargers anyway, string up your electric fence and smear some peanut butter on it. I've heard they'll come up to lick the peanut butter and when they get that electric slap in the mouth they will stay away from that area for a LOOOONG time!

6. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

That sounded cruel.... :grump:

7. deaconjim

That would certainly work for me! I had to use a similar tactic on a visiting dog once, and it did the trick.

8. deaconjim

It's only painful, not cruel. It's better than not being able to feed my family because the deer have eaten the garden, and I'm sure the deer would rather get a taste of a fence than a taste of my shotgun.

In fact, it would be better for them to "taste" the fence than get tangled in it.

9. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Go to your local barber and get a sack of hair. Orange growers in Florida hang small bags of human hair around there orchards as a way of keeping them out.

10. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

I am not cruel. Electric fences are not cruel. The method I described would be a one time, short duration, but very memorable and effective corrective lesson to a deer with no lingering effects.

Cruelty would be wounding a deer with a pellet gun or something stupid like that.

Please do not call me cruel.

11. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

We have a fat little beagle named Daisy. During 'deer in the garden season', we stake out Daisy at night, with a little dog house and some extra treats for doing deer duty. She is totally obnoxious when the intruders arrive. ; )

Daisy was thrown from a passing car about three years ago and she's not good for hunting, as she is so fat and tires easily, but she has a home and love and affection and even 'works' for her keep!

12. Sherpadoo

Sherpadoo Well-Known Member

My poultry professor told us to crack a couple dozen eggs in a 5 gallon bucket of water. You let that set for a couple of weeks and NOTHING will come near your garden! LOL!!! It's not quite practical though....

13. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

LOL!!! That would keep me away from the garden as well.

14. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Dogs.Deer hate dogs.Works for us.If that fails a Marlin 30-30 always works.

15. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Build you a wooden box, with a screen wire front,on a post,,put in a radio,with a timer to turn on at dark and go off after day light. Place on station with Rap. Rap will drive anything in sane.

16. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

ain't that the truth....but their plants may die too