How to introduce new calf to 14 mos old steer?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Mountain Mom, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Mountain Mom

Mountain Mom Active Member

Norman (our 14 ms old, bottle fed, oversized Holstein baby) has been the lone bovine since we got him July 4th of 2003. About a month ago we got another calf - Angel Eyes (a British White - 4 mos. old, not bottle fed by us but still very calm and docile). I was wondering about putting them together and what I should do to prepare for this or what to watch out for?

Angel is currently tethered daily, moved to a new spot every day or so and seems very content with this. Norman is fenced in and loves the attention of anyone walking by (including joggers, bicyclists, and the occasional horse). My husband thinks that there is no reason to put them together, just leave well enough alone. But I was thinking that they might enjoy each other's company, especially given that they are herd animals.

Any thoughts or experience? Oh yeah, Norman is left out 24/7 and Angel is walked back to the barn every evening. Thanks

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not lead Angel out in Norman's pen and see what happens. I doubt if they will have any conflict, but you can quickly break them up if Angel is on a rope.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

If they're already accustomed to seeing each other, I kind of doubt you'll have major fireworks. They'll probably be glad to have each other's company!

At work, new cows are introduced to the herd whenever the farmer buys 'em, and I've yet to see a problem. I acquired my Jersey and Holstein both as adults, threw them in together, and they get along fine.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, OK? :)

4. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

according to Emily Post, you address the older one and introduce the younger one to the older one first.

Like, "Norman I would like you to meet Angel." "Angel, this is Norman."

sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)