Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
The signs to not litter are just another form of litter. Those that are doing the littering don't pay any attention to them.

·
Registered
31,306 Posts
The signs to not litter are just another form of litter. Those that are doing the littering don't pay any attention to them.
That is most likely true. It was the only idea I had.

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had nothing good either other than to suck it up and be the change you wanna see (with a scowl). Onward and upward!
If you can dream up a way to publicly shame whoever is doing it, you might see some results. Even if you can't figure out who is doing it, blast them!

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
We take our trash to the county landfill, but there is a company that will pick up for the folks who can't or don't. A new guy recently tried to start up his own little trash hauling company with a chevy pickup and some ladder racks. I suppose in order to save trips and fuel for multiple runs to the dump, he was stacking the piles as high as he could in the truck bed.
Our local facebook page had multiple reports of him running down the highway recently with garbage blowing out all over the road and the median while he continued on.
I expect he will be out of the business soon.

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
Oh I got ideas but they probably wouldn't fly. How 'bout we lock 'em in a loaded dumpster overnight?

Reactions: Danaus29

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Some years ago the local paper noted that the county Democratic organization had 12 people out picking up trash along a section of highway. I thought, That is really impressive -- they got every single Democrat in the county to come out to help pick up trash!

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
I have often considered picking up cigarette butts (after watching someone pitch one out the window in a parking lot) then tossing the butt into a rolled down window and saying "oh, you dropped this". Would be better to drop the still smouldering butt on the smoker's lap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They got a program to snitch on people who toss their butts. Snitch takes down your license plate and reports you. I got a snitch letter in the mail once. The letter came with a free tiny butt bag. In my defense it was one of my sisters done it. She smokes Uncle Sams with the acetone filters and the carpet glue. Mine are biodegradable hand rolled smokes and I toss em. The mask litter is the real issue, killing all of the baby sea turtles.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I agree that teaching the children could be helpful, but there is no way to reach everyone.

Someone on a road on my old commute in MA took all the bottles that were littered on the road and stood them up along the edge of the road. A whole big lonnnnnggggg line of bottle after bottle and maybe some dunkin's cups, ice coffee cups.
It looked unbelievable! How many there were!! I think the idea was maybe that if it were the same people always throwing out on that road, then they saw what they had been a part of, maybe they'd think twice before throwing out another? It was an overwhelming amount. knowing some MA attitudes I could see some people say "I'll throw more next time". haha. if you know what I mean, you know what I mean.
After a week or so it was all cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
Litter is litter, it doesn't matter if your litter is biodegradable or not, it is still littering.

I often wonder if those who litter just toss their used crap on their living room or dining room floors.

·
Registered
31,306 Posts
Litter is litter, it doesn't matter if your litter is biodegradable or not, it is still littering.

I often wonder if those who litter just toss their used crap on their living room or dining room floors.
I confess, I do throw a apple core or banana peels out my car window.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
I confess, I do throw a apple core or banana peels out my car window.
When I was a kid we did that too, after all fruit leftovers decompose very quickly. But years later while attending a lecture in college I learned even organic material is considered litter and you can be ticketed for tossing it.

A google search of "are apple cores litter" brings up a whole bunch of environmental sites, park and wildlife sites and few news sites but all of them say fruit leavings are litter. A couple even point out that bananas and oranges are not growing in the area where you tossed those peels.

I just wish someone would have told the bear that left a pile of partially digested blueberries in a trail that it was littering and should use the bear latrine instead.

·
Premium Member
41,056 Posts

I have several rent houses, trust me it’s not uncommon! Dirty diaper are the nastiest!

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Most common items found left behind in low income rentals-
Chrismas trees
Vacuum cleaners
Crutches
Mattresses
Infant car seats
Strollers
Entertainment centers
Sonogram photos
Recliners
Sleeper sofas
Non working appliances
Exercise equipment (usually in basements)
12 Volt Batteries and used tires

I'm sure I've missed a few.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
My aunt says college students leave the best stuff. Her biggest problem was throwing away perfectly good and usable items like mini-fridges and microwaves. She managed/owned college area rentals for years before selling out just before covid hit.

·
Premium Member
41,056 Posts
Most common items found left behind in low income rentals-
Chrismas trees
Vacuum cleaners
Crutches
Mattresses
Infant car seats
Strollers
Entertainment centers
Sonogram photos
Recliners
Sleeper sofas
Non working appliances
Exercise equipment (usually in basements)
12 Volt Batteries and used tires

I'm sure I've missed a few.
Wish my tenants left things of value. I just have mountains nasty trash to clean up. Then I can start fixing the damages.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Speaking as a former government inspector, most of those items listed above had high likely hoods of cockroach eggs and rodent feces, dog/cat hair and gunk.
Bringing items like that home will cause you to sleep in unfamiliar beds, eat fast food and retrieve your mail from a temporary PO box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We live in the country on the lake. We have a golf cart and some trash grabbers. We pick up all the cans to recycle. Something about country and lake equals beer cans. When someone stops and says something smart like oh are you golfing the back 9. We just reply no we are on Community Improvement .

21 - 40 of 65 Posts