Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a stretch of road by wetlands that is a dumping ground of a lot of people. It's mostly fast-food, bottles/cans, and mostly single (ish) items. While some might be residents, I have a feeling quite a bit are from passerbys. I do participate in Green Up Day each May (though maybe it'll be later again this year, who knows) and pick it up (the old garbage bag of dirty diapers was an awesome find). On my walks/runs I also might pick up an item or two but it really sucks to get bogged down with junk while you're trying to exercise.

I get assigning police to park/patrol would be a waste of their time and money as there are more important crimes to worry about. It just seems like littering is one of those offenses that mean diddly squat.

Has anything worked in your experiences in the towns you are?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I saw a young, extremely skinny woman today when I was out on a walk with kiddos. She was wearing her mask outside, and had a mesh bag and gloves on and one of those garbage grabbers. My nosey 4 year old of course asked her why she was picking up trash and she replied 'because I don't like seeing it'. Guess that's one way to be the change you wanna see in the world.
The thing that sticks into my head the most though, is she was SO skinny.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is likely our only outcome. This fall my husband and I were walking and noticed this cheese I love in the ditch still unopened in its container. We ended up finding a case worth (10 units) in about a half mile stretch. All unopened. I was very frustrated not only was the cheese wasted, I would have eaten it! Had it been colder, I think I would have.

Either way we picked it up and I fed it to my chickens and recycled the containers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I pick up all the trash in the 1.5 miles of road I walk most days. I just got used to doing it, and I am walking not running.

We had terrible problems in our township a month ago, dozens of bags of garbage a night plus couches, chairs, etc being dumped on a road near me with no houses for two miles almost every night. The township supervisor was cleaning it up every day, the county sheriff came and got all the bags and his deputies went through them for receipts, mail, etc...that family has a court date in two weeks!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I live on a stretch of road by wetlands that is a dumping ground of a lot of people. It's mostly fast-food, bottles/cans, and mostly single (ish) items. While some might be residents, I have a feeling quite a bit are from passerbys. I do participate in Green Up Day each May (though maybe it'll be later again this year, who knows) and pick it up (the old garbage bag of dirty diapers was an awesome find). On my walks/runs I also might pick up an item or two but it really sucks to get bogged down with junk while you're trying to exercise.

I get assigning police to park/patrol would be a waste of their time and money as there are more important crimes to worry about. It just seems like littering is one of those offenses that mean diddly squat.

Has anything worked in your experiences in the towns you are?
You want to see spotless streets and roadways? Visit Germany. You could eat off of the sidewalks.

Germany does not have the slums that we have here in the US.

Germany has a national pride and identity that the USA has either lost, or has gone into a very deep slumber.

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
People are constantly throwing trash and truck loads of garbage along the roads here. The township road crew once filmed someone dumping a truckload of garbage but since there was no identifying info in it and the police didn't see it nothing was done. The road crew driver got a license number but the police said cops had to witness the act, bunch of crock IMO.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It sickens me to see the trash that city folks throw on my rural property throughout the year. I have already been mowing along the road in the ditch when someone chucked a bag where I had just mowed. Another time, somebody threw an empty beer can, and nearly hit me....it was still cold from them drinking it.

I've often commented that my property must be the perfect eating distance form McDonalds in a town North of me.

It has honestly never occurred to me, to throw empty cans, or trash out of my car, and make it somebody else's problem, that's why I keep a trash beg in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I clean up about 1/2 mile of my road each winter / spring, just because I get tired of looking at it.
Did this exact thing a couple weeks ago before we got all the snow. Will probably need to do it again before green up.

·
Premium Member
41,063 Posts
Years ago some neighbors were discussing how ugly the roadsides were due to all the litter. One of the older guys came with a solution..,, “have the container factories paint pictures of flowers on all the beer cans!”.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
We actually had a game warden at one point, who lived in the community, raised kids here, and he took litter very seriously. He had a very sympathetic judge on his side who was an avid outdoorsman. He would actually stake out places that he saw trash thrown out, hide in the bushes and take pictures of license plates. Would follow people in his personal vehicle watching for a gum wrapper to come out the window. And if he found a bag, he would go through it, or have the people that he busted last month who were pulling community service at the land fill go through it. If he found a credit card receipt or piece of junk mail, you were his. You could pay a huge fine, or do community service. If he caught you red handed, and he was feeling nice, he would make you pick up the trash you threw out, as well as all the other trash within a several hundred yard section of road. There was much less litter during his reign.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I spend an entire day in the spring after the snow has melted picking up all of the trash people throw out their car/truck windows all winter long along my property.. I view people as too freakin lazy to simply throw their trash away at home.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Somebody living out in our neighborhood drives my place every day and up the road a mile or two (where I walk) and throws out an empty quart beer bottle in a bag every trip. It's the same brand near same locations, assume they don't want somebody at home to see that they are drinking after work? If I ever figure out who this is, they are going to have a load of empty beer containers dumped in their driveway. 😁

·
Registered
31,319 Posts
As I understand your post, you want to stop littering.

Can you work with local authorities to put up signs?

Can you install some camera device to catch the license of the perpetrator?

Can you look through litter to find addressed, even if it is not the perp, it can be used to trace back to the perp. Our sheriff's department dos this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You want to see spotless streets and roadways? Visit Germany. You could eat off of the sidewalks.

Germany has a national pride and identity that the USA has either lost, or has gone into a very deep slumber.
Germany also has strict laws about neatness & cleanliness of private property that I think you really wouldn't want where you live. Think HOA on steroids, except you don't get a choice to live somewhere else.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I understand your post, you want to stop littering.

Can you work with local authorities to put up signs?

Can you install some camera device to catch the license of the perpetrator?

Can you look through litter to find addressed, even if it is not the perp, it can be used to trace back to the perp. Our sheriff's department dos this.

View attachment 94072

View attachment 94073
These wouldn't be bad, but the big hitch is enforcing them which I feel is nonexistent in the scheme of policing duties. We do have our solid waste district to help for trash dumps and he will go through bags and get people to pay if they can be traced (same goes for people burning trash). But these 'offenders' on the road are tossing drink bottles, fast food bags sans receipts, and generic untraceable stuff-- unless they do fingerprints or DNA (which is already backlogged for serious crimes never mind littering)

I think it's one of those bite the bullet things, maybe a bit of outreach to schools to try and prevent future litterers and maybe put pressure on their parents to not be slobs.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Walking the ditch along the front of our property, I typically find fast food boxes, bags and cups, candy wrappers, aluminum energy drink containers and beer cans. I'm pretty certain the demographic of those litterers is pretty young. Part of employment at our country waste facility is roving trucks with two man crews who walk the medians and roadsides picking up after everyone.
Not far from us are atv trails thru the mountains. Lots of youtubers posting their videos. The scenery is spectacular but you cannot help but notice while viewing, the piles of mountain dew and beer bottles littered throughout the trails. How someone can yearn to explore the wild country and it's beauty while at the same time leaving piles of garbage behind (and spray painting on the rocks and cliffs) I do not know. Surprisingly, many of the videos posted are of men and women in their 40s 50s and 60s.

·
Registered
35 Posts

This is the answer. Just picking up after others may make you feel better, but it doesn't strike the root. I volunteered and did it once in a Mexican (slum?) in Florida. The amount of trash was mind boggling. At the end the volunteers had a rap session about what they had done. Me and another guy made the point that all of our work would be undone within a week. The only way to combat it in the existing culture would be to impose more severe laws for littering. And it is a profluence of laws which marks a degraded, down-sliding culture. The problem is in the culture. One of our founding fathers said that a Republic was only compatible with a strong, moral, Godly people. He was right, and mostly, we are not those people any more.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts