How to Grow Potatoes in Tires?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Mar 9, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

How do you grow potatoes in tires?

I have three around here that are just sitting around, and thought I might try growing some potatoes in them. We have heavy, clay soil, so I can't just plant them in the ground.

Two other related questions: I have some red seed potatoes. How do I prepare them for planting? Do I cut them? Dust them, and if so, with what?

And what is the best medium for covering the plants as they climb? Loose potting soil? Hay or straw? Compost? Sand?

The charts say that this is the time to plant potatoes in our area (zone 7).

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I've only done this once, but what I did was plant one small seed potato in each tire, continue to cover them with alternating layers of loose compost-y soil and leaves (available), and keep adding tires as the plants grew. I ended up with stacks three high when I was finished, or gave up! Then you wait until the tops die down and take the tires off and get the potatoes out. Watch out for insects, mine had several centipedes and scorpions in between and also underneath the rims is a nice warm spot for them.

I have never dusted potatoes, but have also had them rot! But to cut a bigger one up, you just make sure that it has a good sprout or two on it.

hollym

3. Buggs

Buggs Member

I got lots of sawdust around here, so I plant my potatoes in sawdust and it works out okay. Just don't use walnut sawdust.

4. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

yeah go ahead and do it...not! It is a snipe hunt..

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Stumpyacres probably heard me laughing all the way down there! That's because planting potatoes in tires indeed can be a snipe hunt. Especially so in the conditions that may possibly exist here. Remember this always: Potatoes will NEVER produce tubers below the seed piece and will NEVER produce feeder roots above the seed piece. If you set the piece on solid clay, what will it feed on? Best to work several inches of compost into the first 8 inches of soil. Then just bury the seed piece. After that, the tires may be filled with straw, hay, sawdust, sand, whatever. Doesn't matter as there will be no feeder roots there anyway.

Martin

6. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I heard and also read somewhere
    growing things in tires was not good.
    (Strawberries, herbs, tomatoes)
    What I heard was between the rain/dampness
    and also the heat each day, the chemicals in the rubber
    can get in the soil and plants.
    I'll look for the artical but in the meantime maybe
    someone the board is familar with this.