Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to start asparagus? I am new to asparagus so wondering if starting it from seed or established crowns is best for a novice. Where do I get crowns? Thanks Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Three years ago I started 24 plants from seed I bought from Johnnys Seed. I transplanted them and have let them grow to fern for two full seasons. This year (year 3) I will begin harvesting. If you start with crowns, you can harvest in the second year from what I have read. Price difference is a factor for me. Seeds are much cheaper than crowns.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i have tried to nurture seedlings that volunteer for the last few years. i always seem to lose them in the weeds and grass, but i am afraid to mulch to heavily. maybe i should try to mulch heavy enough now and see if the seeds will grow through it. crowns would be a lot easier, but i see the point about the cost. of course, asparagus will last for decades so maybe the high cost is worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
We have put in 2,000 crowns - we bought them from http://www.jerseyasparagus.com/ and found them to very helpful and informative. They were pretty cheap too - IMO. We harvested a little the first 2 years and then picked as much as we want now. It's a huge seller at the Farmer's Market and we always sell out in a matter of minutes.

Also, we tried the seeds first and it's just not as predictible as with the crowns. Very good crop and the first veggie (March here in zone 6.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts