Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young feeder pig that needed injections - I'm not a fan of meds, but it was meds or dead pig, I didn't think it was quite big enough to eat and I wasn't 100 % sure of the illness. So first two days pig was too sick to fight, but into day 2 it was clear it was pneumonia - not uncommon here due to the damp cold, and we had a very damp cold spell, but my first sick pig ever - well, since I was 17. First two days of shots went good, well because he wasn't feeling good, and today it's a different story - piggy is feeling much better and he's making it very clear he's not into anymore shots. If I had a chute, this wouldn't be an issue -but no chute. Do I sit on him? Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Give him a treat and give him some affection after getting the syringe ready. Pat him firmly in the neck where you want to give him the injection...keep this up as you are approaching with the shot. Pat and rub with one hand just before the other applies the injection and pushes the plunger in one smooth motion.

Reactions: Bubbas Boys

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
This was our first year with pigs and we had to give our boys 4H pigs shots when they got home from fair since they had a cough and heavy breathing. We just gave them bread and rolls and snuck up behind and shot the rear. I was wondering if the neck was better but they got better real fast. They were 250-275 lbs also!

D

·
0 Posts
Give him a treat and give him some affection after getting the syringe ready. Pat him firmly in the neck where you want to give him the injection...keep this up as you are approaching with the shot. Pat and rub with one hand just before the other applies the injection and pushes the plunger in one smooth motion.
Like Gravytrain said above. Instead when I inject I use the other hand to scratch near the injection site while injecting. This distracts him from the syringe. If he is exceptionally squirrelly, be like a heron with a fish, strike fast and jump off:)

If he has become scared of you because of the injections, just don't look at him directly as you approach.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I was trying to pat and distract...I probably wasn't patting hard enough. I will go try again, and take out something tasty for him.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No luck with the distraction technique, he knew what was coming, so used an old cupboard door as a makeshift squeeze, used my legs to brace him and got shot number 3 into him...the next 4 will be interesting for sure, the door worked well for today. He's in a small pallet house, and I'll keep him there till he's done his treatments.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I feel for you. I hate giving shots period, but especially to pigs. Gives me a whole new perspective on giving shots to horses (they're so much easier!)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I gave my gilt her first dose of Farrowsuregold last week. I waited while she was settled down into her second pumpkin and I did it like you would a horse. After I filled the needle with the vaccine, I removed the needle from the syringe and poked that in her neck after slapping her skin a bit with the side of my fist that held the needle. It's like pound -pound - pound - stick. I then reattached syringe and pumped it in. She moved a bit from the first stick but went back to eating and that is when I reattached the syringe and plunged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts