Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I said a couple of months ago I retired. Thought I would have more time, but have not. Still cleaning after the ice storm and working in my gardern and on my house. Put painted barn siding on everything that might need painted. Question I have is my wife bought some old tablecloths that were folded and had yellowed with age and she wants to get the yellow out without damage to the material. Any help would be appreciated.
By the way, school starts tomorrow and this will be the first day I have missed the start in 31 years. Thanks again!
braggscowboy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi,
A good spritz of white vinegar followed by drying in the sun should do the trick, if the yellowing isn't too severe. Or a bit of baking soda paste. They do still carry bluing, which I understand might work, but I have no experience with bluing....good luck. Hope with the start of school your chores slow a bit so you can enjoy the break! Happy retirement!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I frequently purchase old linens and I use "Biz". Biz is a powder and I dissolve it in warm water and then soak the linens in them. Usually overnight. I've had pretty good luck with it. However, I've also had some dyes run.....so maybe test a section of it first. It's the best thing I've used. I'd also hang out in the sun too.

gg :)

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
I've used Oxyclean, which is an enzyme product and soaked old textiles in that with good results. As mentioned before, always test dyes and follow the product recommendations!

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
If you use bluing, make sure you dilute it well before putting in the material. It really works in getting out the yellow. Bleach in the wash water then putting it in the sun works well also.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts