How to get rid of flies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MillsFarmFamily, Nov 29, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

How do you keep flies out of your house? They aren't bad this time of year, but one or two in the house drives my husband nuts! :grump: Any good "remedies" for flies?

2. Re-shell

Re-shell Member

Purge? I've used it before, and actually use it every summer. It works great! Here is a website you can take a look at, or you can google it and find out more about it.

http://ditchlingcorp.net/index_000009.htm

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Hang a ziploc bag full of water and A piece of tinfoil in it over any openings. Flies think it's a hornet nest supposedly.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

You haven't seen flies until you've been to Outback Australia!! You've heard of the Great Australian Salute? (brushing flies away from the face.) If you haven't got flyscreens on ALL your windows and doors (and keep them shut), you're in big trouble. It really is the only way.

However, you can hang up a fly-baffle. Basically a curtain cut into thin strips to cover entire doorways. The strips move around in the breeze, making it a little more difficult for the flies to get in. They also make it difficult for the flies to get out again! You can get plastic ones, or fancier beaded ones, or you can make your own.

Flies often congregate near windows, so wash your windows with a strong mint tea. You can hang bunches of mint in doorways and windows too, or use mint tea as an air-freshener.

More ideas:

Try growing basil in pots wherever blowflies are a nuisance.
    OR
    Scatter crushed garlic cloves around to repel blowflies.
    OR
    Add a dessertspoon of oil of wintergreen (from chemist) to a cup kerosene and use in a spray can.

Reduce the number of flies around your home by planting herbs in your garden, and then hanging dried bunches of these herbs inside the house. Try using any of the following in any combination: lavender, tansy, mint, thyme, rosemary, bay, rue, basil, wormwood, yarrow, fennel, feverfew, marigolds.

ON PETS:
    Comb a few drops of eucalyptus oil through pet's hair.

HOME MADE FLY-PAPERS:
    Cut up strong brown paper into strips. Heat 1 tablespoon castor oil and treacle, honey or golden syrup until well dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool, soak the paper strips, allowing the excess to drip away. Thread some string through one end of each strip, and hang up and allow to dry. Roll up until required. To use, hang papers around living areas, inside or out.

FLY POISON:
    Mix one part of finely ground black pepper with two parts of brown sugar, and dissolve in milk. Place where flies will find it, and they will die after eating it.

FLY REPELLENT (SUITABLE FOR ANIMALS AND HUMANS):
    Mix together 3ml oil of cloves, 5ml bay tree oil, 2/3 cup vodka, 5ml eucalyptus oil and 3/4 cup water.

Basil, bay leaves, cloves, fennel, lavender, pennyroyal, mint, rue and wormwood are all insect repellent herbs. Hang in bunches or sachets near doorways.
    OR
    Rub ammonia onto windows to deter flies.
    OR
    Stand a container of water in any room where flies are a bother, and add to it a few drops of oil of peppermint or woodruff.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Give your husband a fly swatter.

6. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

this is so funny, i was going to post the same question, haven't had any flies almost all summer, now it has cooled off and there must be 10-20 in the house, driving me nuts, i have swatter in hand.

7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the first things to do is figure out what type of flies you've got. There's quite a variety of them, and they grow and live in different ways.

For example, I've got cluster flies on my place. Who knows why, but there's a lot of them. These aren't filth flies, they live in earthworms, burrow up out of the ground, and then spend their time buzzing the windows of the house. In this case, cleaning up poop wouldn't help, but using a grub-x type pesticide on the ground did.

Having tried just about every type of fly trap/bait/etc, I've learned none of them work worth a darn. But the pyrethrin spritzers do a dandy job. Placed well, they really clobber flies in the house.

Outside, this year we had guinnea fowl and muscovy ducks. Both are rather well reknown for eating flies. They did a good job, especially on the filth flies. Of which I've plenty from my own livestock poop, and the two cattle operations on both sides of me.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We have house flies that like to get upstairs and hang out bumping against the windows. The buzz buzz bump bump can really drive you crazy. I vacuum them up with the hose of the vacuum cleaner when I have it out. :eek:

I get wasps that way, too.

I hate the ...aftermath that a fly swatter can leave behind.