How to get rid of bag worms?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rkintn, Apr 16, 2006.

1. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

My sister and BIL have a terrible epidemic of some kind of worms in a huge cocoon in their trees. Is there a non poisonous way to get rid of them? If not, what should they use to get rid of them?

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We lop off the branch and then put them in a pile and burn them. No chems for us. It got better year by year.

3. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

What about when they are in the fork of the tree? Plus if you puncture the cocoon a really gross landslide of worms comes out! I think my BIL would love the cut and burn method LOL he likes to burn stuff anyway:) Thanks for the help:)

4. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

You have my sympathies. I, too, only use organic methods on my property so I have to pick them off by hand. I currently have a hedge of Leland Cypress which is about 50 yards long and the trees are about twelve to fifteen feet high. I spent last June, which is when they start making the bags around here, hand picking them off the trees when the bags were about a half an inch long. I continued picking through the fall and winter and have just about gotten them all picked off. I find that if you pick them off when they are just forming, the silk that attaches them to the tree branch is not as strong and therefore it is easier to pull them off. Later in the year they get to be a couple of inches long and the silk is much stronger. I am determined to save my Leland Cypress so this is pretty much a labor of love. My husband tried helping me but his hand swelled up so I think he was sensitive to the worm. They don't bother me. But I do have to use a ladder and most of them tend to congregate in the uppermost branches so this is quite a bit of work. My neighbors have cedar trees on their side of the fence which also has the worms on but because they didn't control them, some of their trees have died. They cut them down and burned them. They said that they plan to spray this year but unfortunately the spray will end up on my trees as well. Since the hedge is not near any of my food plants nor my water supply, I'm not going to protest the spraying because I would just like them to do something about the worms on their trees so they don't end up on mine. I just don't want to handle the chemicals myself.
    Colleen

5. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

I have always burned them out. That bag that they build burns real fast.

6. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

The best way is get a spray bottle with gas in it. Spray then light. It won,t hurt the bark, If they are way up, spray then use a hair-spray can then light. They will not know what hit them!! :Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling: