How to get rid of a weasel!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by allenslabs, Mar 20, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I'm not using a figure of speach either......I think I have a real weasel living in my barn!! Something is digging a hole and it's maybe as big around as a tangerine maybe smaller and I found a dead baby weasel in the yard. Any Ideas? I tried a live trap but didn't catch anything and it ate the food. Not a good trap I guess. And my goats are in that barn sO i have to be careful what I put out. Thanks!!

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Weasels are excellent ratters and mousers and I expect that's why it is in there if that is what the critter is.Of course Rats make holes like you are referring to also. ???
    Do you have animals in danger from this helpful predator? We know it's not going to harm a goat, so, if you have no other concerns and like having rats and mice killed off, I would leave it alone.

LQ

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I have heard that the right sized barncat with the right temperment will go after weasels or ermine. That should also help to compete with the weasels for rodents. Barn cats would be good in any case, even if you have to live trap and remove the weasel problem.

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I had a weasel living in my house. These animals have a scent defense, the same as a skunk. A skunk is a big weasel.

I caught it in a homemade gerry-rigged trap, baited with bacon. It stank up the whole house when I caught it.

If I ever get my scanner working I will post pics.

Pete

5. allenslabs

Oh lord that would smell wonderful I'm sure! HAHA!!
    My chickens are in there too. Will it hurt them? I assume it's a weasel as I found a dead baby one in the yard. My luck it's a rat! Anyway thanks! If it's a weasel then that's fine I guess if you say so. The hole is to small I think for a groundhog. Thanks all!

6. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Tell him your moving to Crawford, Texas.....he'll run like hell!!!

7. allenslabs

What's in crawford,Tx??

8. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

A Weasel will kill you chickens.

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

The holes sound like they are from rats or mice. The weasel will clean up those populations and when it is finished, it will go for your chickens. Chicken wire will not keep out a weasel. It will go through any hole a mouse can go through. I would set rat traps baited with liver near the chickens in case it is a weasel. More details:

http://www.longshadowfarms.com/predator.html

10. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I like weasels, besides...
    We had a rash of pregnant mares to lose their unborn foals in Tennessee a few years ago.
    Come to find out that common domestic housecats carry, on the average, five diseases that cause abortions in equines.
    Since barns + hay + feed = mice, people throw cats into the equation. Cats lounge around & hunt in the hay. Now subtract any potential hosses...
    I lost a mule foal that way.

11. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a weasel get into the hen house and kill off over 30 laying hens. They just killed them, sucked the blood out and left the corpses. Did one or two a night and got into a tiny little spot that was no bigger than a 2 inch square, if that big. They can do serious harm to your chicken population!

We tried trapping it but it outsmarted us! We ended up moving the henhouse closer to the house and did away with the problem that way.....

12. allenslabs

Oh my!!! That's horrible!! Poor chickens!! So far no dead chickens. We had 2 roosters that ran loose but we had to put the one left (I think a hawk got the other.... saw a pile of feathers and that was it) in the coop so I could set the dumb trap that doesn't seem to work!! I filled in the hole last night w/ the manure from my goat pen so we'll see what happens.

13. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

We had a weasel who visited us for two days in a row. Killed my prize pekin duck hen and four chickens. Seriously injured two of my muscovie duck hens. Day after Thanksgiving, I heard my guineas going crazy and I saw the brazen little cuss trying to drag another chicken away. The chicken body was too big to fit through the holes in the fencing around the chicken yard. The weasel actually snared at me and then kept on trying to drag the chicken through. Husband and brother-in-law got the guns and shot him. Becky