how to get rid of a bush?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by healing herbals, Mar 1, 2005.

1. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

I have a bush in front of the window, on the south side of my house, that was there when we moved in. I am now using that area for a herb garden and would love to get rid of that bush, but how do I do it? I keep cutting it back to nothing, and yet it grows back out, and of course I don't want to poisen. Any suggestions?
    thanks

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

How large is this bush? You may have to dig it out. My hubby loves to "grub" things out with his grubbing hoe. We have had to do this on our place with unwanted trees and shrubs that weren't so large they couldn't be dug out. I do not use chemicals so this is the only way I know of to get it out.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Dig down as far as you can, get a chain around some of the roots, and pull it out with a truck.

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

how to get rid of a bush?

Darn, I thought you meant George W.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

me too. :haha:

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

Depending on the type of bush,ever heard of smothering it with kindness? i would not grub out unless i was sure it would not grow from a root.Best way is to over water for a season and dont let it get any light . we have had to resort to glyphosate for nettles and loosestrife control ,no organic method was working and the stuff was spreading.sometimes the lesser of two evils.

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Last spring we dug up the bushes in front of our house.....and really bummed out a bunch of bumblebees that were hibernating underneath!.....nothing grew back from the roots that were left, but I don't know if that;s the case with all bushes.

8. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

I have found, since I am a not-so-strong female, that plants respond greatly to communication. When I am about to remove a plant, I usually talk to it, telling it that I will give it another place to grow, or that it is not harmonious with the others, and I ask it, sometimes again and again, as I am digging it up, to release it's hold on the earth. You must often dig very deeply around the sides, and getting deeper to get to the roots, but even so, even a plant will have a tremendous "hold on life" like we would if we were surrounded with water....we would struggle to keep going, no matter what....this is the law of nature...however, plants are not immune to communication, and if you explain what you are doing, and ask for their cooperation, you very often get it, with sudden and astounding results......kathrynlmv