how to get insurance

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

hi, I am wondering what it is with insurance in this country. Maybe it is just this state. Just do things a little bit unconventional and you can not get insurance. we do not have to worry how to pay it,we can't get it. admitted, we live very rural, but we are only 2 miles from the nearest Fire department, and we do have a rather long gravel drive way. the first guy who came out (Farm Bureau) looked around, then said:" Why in the heck would anyone want to live out here"? He informed us he could not insure us, emptied his ashtray, (we found the cigarette butts and candy wrappers later) and left us, flabbergasted. we have a small house (1000 sqfeet) and a shop with two bedrooms upstairs. Post and beam, strawbale, stuccoed, metal roof. the only thing I am worried about are tornadoes, otherwhise I would not bother. a few years ago a tornado knocked our tobacco barn to smithereens.
    we have friends in Missouri with a similar house, but more conventional looking, farther from the firedept who had no trouble getting insurance.

WE finally managed to get some through another company and lo and behold, we got papers back yesterday and it is all messed up. It describes our house as having
    vinyl siding, shingled roof and wall to wall carpenting. well, maybe this is a hint we should take, put vinyl siding on it.....
    we have a metal building to keep equipment in and for animal shelters, I don't know why that can't be insured. We talked with an agent in California and it would not be a problem there, but the cost is prohibitiv.

2. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Tabitha,

I built homes for 15 years. many of my cients in KY had your same problem.
    The insurance companies want to charge outragous premiums in states like KY and WV

I looked into it and was told the risk or collections were much higher in KY.
    Now mind you I think the companies are full of it but the reason they gave was that KY customers would get tired of paying for something and just burn it up to get out of debt..

Insurance and pharmacutical companies have too much control on this country.
    It was just on the news yesterday that over 50,000 people in Florida are recieveing notices they will no longer be insured , just prior to Hurricane season in Florida.
    You can bet those folks will have a almost impossiblle task to get insured now.

hang in there. Try your state board of insurance for ideas. Also the farm service agency should be able to give you some idea's about agents that would consider you.

Try your local agents too and be persistent. local agents will know other agents that will provide you insurance they just don't like to advertise for thier competitors.
    But if you bug them enough will be forthcoming with a name to get you off thier back.

Good Luck

3. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

If you are carrying a mortgage on your property, it is my bet that your mortgage agreement states that you MUST maintain home owners insurance. If you are in that situation, perhaps your mortgage provider can point you in the right direction to get insurance.

Just a thought that crossed my mind......

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Keep looking Tabitha. I know in Louisiana there are many coastal residences that cannot be insured and so the government has a special policy for them. I'm sure there is someone out there who will insure you (for a fortune, no doubt), but if not, you might want to contact your local chapter of FEMA (or your state's main FEMA office) and ask them what they would recommend, or whether they have any referral numbers to companies that will cover you.

Of course, knowing what I know about the government - it's going to take you four hours on hold and 13 different mindless know-nothing clerks who will transfer you around and maybe *just maybe*you might find someone who knows something.

You might also check with your local extension agent and see what he/she knows.

donsgal