How to get homestead land?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mykdiver, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mykdiver

mykdiver New Member

My wife and I are doing reserch now for when I retire from the Navy in 4 1/2 years. We are interested in homesteading, but want to know how to find out more info on how to actually get land from the Government, and which states have land available.
    Can anyone answer any of these questions, or point me in the right direction?

2. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

*watches intently*

I was wondering that myself. :baby04:

3. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

4 1/2 years is kind of short to set yourself up for a true retirement. Hopefully you have amassed a decent nest egg. If not and your goal is to no longer work and live off the land start now. I am a retired E-7 and even with my retirement and VA it would be tough to completely leave the job market. Tricare can be a viable health plan in the right areas of the country. I believe that my family rate is still under $500 a year. If I go to the base hospital, I have yet to have to go downtown and pay the co-pay. I get free prescriptions etc.... for my annual premium.

I hope you have better luck at finding decent land to get free for homesteading. I have not found any free land that does not have serious setbacks. What I have found is:

In Alaska there is land off the grid that is cheap and as a veteran you get a 25% discount. Most is only accessable VIA boat, ATV, snowmachine, or plane. Some is just a bit of a drive, 2-3 hours away from a major town.

In Colorado, the best deals are out on the plains. As the old farmers pass away and the children do not want the hard work associated with the business they sell. I have talked with a couple RVers from CA that purchased old homesteads out on the plains. They are using them as a base for their lifestyle. They sold 2000 SQ foot homes in CA for $700K and bought just the farmhouse and buildings for under $200K. They pocket the difference and can live quite well. I do not know of any of them that are actually raising animals or crops for a profit but I suspect that it could be done.

In southern NM, everything cheap was unusable for farming except for an occasional pistachio farm. The mountains have had a long drought and fires can be a problem. Seasonal employment can also be a problem. Raw desert land was $3000 an acre.

I highly suggest that you look hard at your possible VA disability (if you have any health problems). In Anchorage a 50% disability give me a $150,000 tax break and other benefits. Read CFR38.

Sorry to wander.

4. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

You are only about 150 years too late for free government land. Better find another plan and start saving $$$. You may have better luck in central america living on a small Gov. pay.

5. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

Government closed out the free homesteading land in the 60's as I recall. Subject to peer review, but I was told officially it was closed.

There is still land available for reasonable prices but your have to invest the time and effort to find it. DW and myself spent 2½ years looking. Made an offer on Saturday then I went out of town on business on Monday, someone else made an offer on Monday and we had to complete the transaction by faxes to my hotel room. Wild 3 days.

Decide where you want to live, search that area carefully. Don't depend on real estate agents! Talk to people, read bulletin boards, find the local coffee shop (the one where the local farmers and hangers-on go in the morning to have coffee). Ask around as new places are coming available all the time. Then go search the area again. Ask the local auctioneers. Subscribe to the local paper and whatever variant of the free papers and weekly throw-aways there are.

Church goer? Look into the local churches. Particularly the smaller ones. Indicate an interest in the church and that you are looking to buy property in the area. Let them know you are in the area looking for property and wanted to check out the local churches. Nothing wrong with this...You are, and you are. Get the congregation looking for you.

BTW..I just recently noticed how many people on this forum are from Missouri...Hmmmm? Reasonably priced land (seen some as low as $1600/acre recently), low taxes, few building restrictions. Reckon that may be part of the reason?

Good luck in your quest!

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The stopped the homesteading program. :Bawling:

Then again, there may be very cheap land available for you. The biggest reason that land is expensive is because it is near work: If you are retired you might not have to worry about that.

Stop and think: if you could live anywhere, what state or area would you LIKE to live in?????????? Because you will receive retirement pay, you could buy land for very little, and THEN see about improving it!

7. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Mykdiver,

The next best thing you could do is to find an area that will offer you a lot of land for a little money. If it was possible to get a Homestead land grant, how much land would you be interested in? Rural Pennsylvania has very inexpensive land.

8. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

brownthumb: can I ask where in PA you have found inexpensive land? I have been looking ...

9. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

150? I worked on homestead aplications in the 80s if I remember right ,and I might be off by a few years, the homesteading program closed in august of 1984 but there was other very cheap($2.50 an acre) landprograms open abit later.

Weird isnt it that we are out of land and yet the government is still letting people in?

10. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Land can be bought in most areas simply by outbidding the competition.

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

My point exactly anything in a shortage situation will be bid up in value ...its the old law of supply and demand

12. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Northwestern PA look in Mercer or Crawford County.

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

14. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I should hope that it would look nice. for that much money it better look real nice.

I retired from the US Navy in 2001, as a ET1(SS)

My wife has been working at the commissary ever since part-time.

While I was attending the TAPS course, I was offered the job teaching highschool NJ-ROTC.

And I have been offered a couple jobs since then, but so far my pension is fine.

Nothing from Disability, the VA gave me four 0 ratings, each medical problem needs to be bad enough that it would keep me from working. Since none of them keep me from working, they say I have no percentage ratings.

Since retiring I shopped for land, bought land, began building a farmhouse and we have moved into it.

We now have 42 acres of forest with 1/4 mile of river-frontage, and a 2400 square foot house.

I still am not working.

:)

callyico likes this.