How to get a start off a lilac bush

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by decamper, Sep 12, 2005.

1. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

I have an old lilac bush and snowball bush that I would like to get a start from to move to our pioneer village. I am guessing that both these bushes would date from the early 1900. Anyone know of a book listing plants from the turn of the century?

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

The old lilac varieties usually send up little shoots in the spring. We did an entire fence row at our mountain place a few years ago from transplants. I just dipped in rooting hormone and stuck them in the ground. The key was to give them constant moisture - not wet - but moist. All of them took. Once they are established (after the first year) then they're pretty drought tolerant.

Snowballs are in the hydrangea family, I believe. Take a soft stem cutting (new growth), dip in hormone powder and start those in small pots with good potting soil. I can't remember if you can start those in water or not. A good nursery can help you out with that.

In both cases, I would wait till spring to transplant. Just my preference.

3. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

lilacs are real easy to propogate like becky said- they're almost impossible to kill! But to make sure you get plenty of blooms, make sure they're in the sun.

heirloom varieties are such a treasure, would you be interested in traiding or selling a couple shoots?

4. decamper

I should have said that both of these bushes were around in the early 1900. I do not know if they are that old; our property was a general store built around 1890. So how would I know how old these bushes are?

5. decamper

Jennifer, What makes a bush an heirloom? How old does it have to be?

The last owners moved here in the 1950's and the only other owner was the man who built it 1890's-1900.

So how would I know if these bushes are that old?