how to get a patten on idea

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygurl, Jun 14, 2004.

1. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

hubby has a thing and would like to get a patten, where to start any info or tips is apprecaited. i am sure there are scams out there, send them your idea and they take off with your idea.....

thanks

2. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

You can do it all yourself. Don't pay someone else to do it for you. Companies like "Inventec" you see on TV are there just to take your money.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I used to work for an attorney in Los Angeles (1978) who specialized in Copyrights, Trademarks, and Patents. I would find someone like that and NOT one of the 'companies' that advertise!

OR.....

That being said.. My husband did one on his own 11 years ago. He is traveling today, so I cannot help you.. but tonight I will discuss with him and post tomorrow.

I do know that after 10 years you have to PAY to continue your exclusive rights. It seems his was around $800.

4. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

thanks so far for info, any additional is appreciated

5. Gina

Gina Active Member

The US Patent and Trademark Office has a website with a great deal of information on it. It is www.uspto.gov Your DH can also call their number and ask for the Inventors Assistance Center and they have people there that can answer a great deal of questions. If he doesn't get a satisfactory answer the first time, he can call back until he gets someone who is willing to talk. :) Some of the people are anxious to send you some forms and brochures and that's it. Certainly these things are useful but there are those who are willing to answer direct questions. I was fortunate enough to get to chat with a retired examiner last week and he was TREMENDOUS in answering my questions. All 12 billion of them. ha ha

Gina