how to find unsprayed hay

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Dec 23, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I live in Arkansas, and am still new to raising animals. I watch the paper, and ask around, but so far I've been buying small square bales from my coop. I'd like to find hay that isn't sprayed or fertilized chemically. I understand that if hay is a pure stand, more than likely it was sprayed to keep out the weeds. So I should stay away from hays of just one type, correct? What other things can I look for to find what I'm looking for? What I mean is, how will the hay be advertised. No one seems to sell organic hay here, but I'm sure some people don't spray. Will they call it weedy hay, or mixed hay, or what?

Anyone know where I can get a large bale of unsprayed hay? One bale should last my three goats a long time.

Thanks,
    Shae

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Shae,
    Where are you in Ar? Depending on the area I might be able to give you an idea.
    The best way that I have found is to look for signs with hay for sale and contact those folks or to call the ads in the paper and ask them if they spray their hay and if they do ask them if they know of any unsprayed hay in the area for sale. Alot of people will tell you and then you run into some of those that won't. :(

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

All alfalfa I know of is sprayed at least once a year (usually before first cutting) for weevils if not more depending on infestation. If you don't, you lose your stand. I live in SC MO don't know about the rest of the country. Most of the orchard grass, fescue, or clover, timothy, lespedeza hay you find won't be sprayed if you buy local. My experience.

4. outofmire

I'm around Conway, but willing to drive if I have to. I know this is not the best time of year to buy hay.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with your local health food store to see if they have a list of organic farmers in your area. I know that in Montana, there are people who sell organic alfalfa hay and other farmers who rotate hay crops rather than spray for weeds.

6. crazygoatgirl

Shae,
    You are pretty close to me. I live in Romance. There is a neighbor of mine that has round bales for sale...the feild he cuts from is right beside my house and I have never *seen them spray it....I can find out what they have for sale if you would like?

7. outofmire

Do you know if he fertilizes with chemicals? Sure I'd love to find out more if you get the chance to ask. As I said, one bale would do me for quite awhile. What kind of hay is it?

Thanks!

8. outofmire

Good idea. Do you think the county extension office would know as well?

9. crazygoatgirl

I do know that he fertilized the hay once. I am not sure what he used. It is bermuda and mixed grass hay. When I run out I will probably buy from him.

10. outofmire

CrazyGoatGirl,

I would like to buy a bale of hay from your neighbor if he has one available...after Christmas is over that is. Can you PM me with contact info?

Thanks!

11. outofmire

I found someone selling bales of crabgrass/mixed volunteer weeds and grasses. He said it was where he grew wheat, they burned the field, and then they were going to grow beans, but didn't. He didn't use pesticides, on this crop at least. But he did fertilize with triple 19.

We are looking for organic, but there doesn't seem to be many organic farms in Arkansas.

What do ya'll think about the sound of this hay? I'm betting he probably has used pesticides in the past if he normally growns beans or wheat, etc. there. I wonder how long the pesticides stay in the soil?

12. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter