Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is turning 3 and about time she started working under saddle, but with no time and an important birthday ending in a 0 this year am thinking sending her to a pro is the way to go, but so nervous about it, she has no vices, good ground manners, happy and personable, so easy to have a good horse spoiled...if I had half a brain I would find a good home for her and keep my turning 50 dead broke, bomb proof, close to the ground saddle horse (who my vet loves and thinks I am crazy to think about finding a new home for her and breaking my neck with a baby)..sigh...hubby wants me to downsize, with a calf due to my mini before Christmas so I am failing miserably with the one in, one out rule...anyway - how to find a good local trainer...Northern Alabama is where I am...

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Ask your vet, they should know of a good trainer in the discipline you are interested in.

I love my youngsters, but never give up my tried and true and trusted riding horses for a youngster unless I have bred one of my girls and thrown a baby I think is a good prospect. It takes too long to replace the dead broke, known horse. But like I should really talk, I have 21 horses and wouldn't trade any one of them, but only a few are really dead broke riding horses. The rest are all youngsters. Sigh.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Do you want her trained English or Western? I am in Huntsville and can recommend someone who can get your horse started, i.e. w/t/c..etc. Depends on what you want the horse trained to do. My barn owner is extremely talented with babies and well known in the area as being kind and consistent with young stock. You can PM me if you would like more information.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ask your vet, they should know of a good trainer in the discipline you are interested in.

I love my youngsters, but never give up my tried and true and trusted riding horses for a youngster unless I have bred one of my girls and thrown a baby I think is a good prospect. It takes too long to replace the dead broke, known horse. But like I should really talk, I have 21 horses and wouldn't trade any one of them, but only a few are really dead broke riding horses. The rest are all youngsters. Sigh.
I kind of hinted about when she was out drawing blood on AB, but she didn't volunteer any names - I think she is leery of recommendations, although she urged caution when I mentioned a friend had an Amish trainer she liked in Kentucky...

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I kind of hinted about when she was out drawing blood on AB, but she didn't volunteer any names - I think she is leery of recommendations, although she urged caution when I mentioned a friend had an Amish trainer she liked in Kentucky...
What discipline are you looking at? I might be able to get some good recommendations for you if the discipline is up my alley:)

My vets are ready with trainer info most of the time, as they get asked a lot by new people to the area. They have all sorts of different trainers that they vet for, and they know their handling skills, training ability, etc. I am always confident about getting a name from them. Too bad your vet isn't as willing to give out a name, but I sure understand the hesitancy in this day and age!!

I don't know that I would go with an Amish trainer, but I don't really know that much about them either so can't say for sure. I have seen their own horses looking not very well taken care of and I lived in heavy duty Amish country in western New York for years so have seen a lot. Not my first choice I don't guess.

·
Banned
85 Posts
If you're just looking to get your horse started under saddle it really doesn't matter what discipline. We are English riders and we (and our dressage trainer) use a wonderful woman who is a western rider to start all young horses. She is quiet, kind and confident and gives young horses an excellent start. The same start that is needed for all disciplines.

Some of those horses have gone on to Grand Prix level and having had that western saddle on their back hasn't hurt them a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts