How to find a buck for your does?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fiveblessings, Dec 25, 2004.

1. fiveblessings

fiveblessings New Member

Hi! I was wondering how I can go about finding a buck for my does. I would like to have them bred, but there are not many people who have goats in my area; especially not ones who keep bucks.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Check for goat clubs somewhere around and then contact them. Also might ask the feed stores for names of people with goats or call some Vets in your area. 4H might be another avenue. What some people do is buy their own buck use him and then either butcher or sell him.

3. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Great suggestions --

Also may contact ADGA or ABGA for breeders in your area.
    Artificial insemination is the other option, semen is readily available for purchase all over the internet. Good luck.

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

the breeder that I purchased my two does from last summer called a couple of months ago and said he had a bottle-fed buck he thought would be perfect with my does....one look and i was sold....

I asked on here how many folks kept their own bucks and was surprised at the number who do...

I think it would be almost impossible for me to catch one of my does in heat, get her to the buck in time, etc. etc. etc.

Instead, on Dec. 21st when Jodie went into heat, Harley was right there and ready....so hopefully we will have a kid (or two!) around May!

Harley has been gentle and will be moved into another fenced area with our goat dog for company when it gets nearer time for the kids to be born....

Any males will be turned into wethers, (to earn their keep helping clear these 15 acres) unless there's an exceptional buck, and the does will be saved for milking does....